Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Canadian bacon? How do I make?

edited 12:44PM in EggHead Forum
Anyone out there make a good Homemade "Canadian bacon"? I love it, but I seldom find it. I would love to learn haw to make it. Any one have a method or recipe they would like to share? Thanks in advance!

Rich
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Do a search on this forum...tons of info...

and read this

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html
    ·
  • Well first you find a Canadian...

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I found a good Canadian, his name is Little Steven. Maybe he has a good method?
    ·
  • Haha,

I have never had Canadian bacon. I want to try it next time I'm in the States.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    This is Thirdeyes cooking site. Look this over. Tim

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html
    ·
  • Thanks vidalia1!
    ·
  • Thanks 2Fategghead!
    ·
  • jeffinsgfjeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    You mean like this?

backbacon.jpg

I have used the High Mountain cure talked about on Thirdeye's site for about 50 pounds of bacon (two boxes of cure). I've been pleased with the results, but on the next one, I'll try blending my own cure. High Mountain is a great way to get started.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,778
    there is a great recipe on the dizzypig site
    canadianbacon007.jpg
    ·
  • Thanks jeffinsgf. This may be a good starting point!
    ·
  • Thanks fishlessman, I do use a lot of their rubs. I will look into this farther.
    Thanks!
    Rich
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Little Steven wrote:
    Haha,

I have never had Canadian bacon. I want to try it next time I'm in the States.

Steve

LOL, too funny. So what do you call the stuff?
    ·
  • Ron,

I was serious. We get mostly peameal here and it is not smoked. From the pictures I have seen, what you guys call Canadian bacon is cured, smoked loin. I just bought some High Mountain cure to try it out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Cool, you will love it.
    I just thought it was funny that the guy in Canada wasnt familiar with Canadian Bacon, which from what I understand has nothing to do with Canada. Americans have created several food items that we label and pretend they came from somewhere else, never has made sense to me. Or even by region. Being a lifelong Southerner(deep south) I have scratched my head many times over dishes labeled as "southern" style. :)
    ·
  • It's true. I always thought it referred to peameal bacon or what we call back bacon. I have seen it over the last couple of years made by "Lou's" who also sell compressed pulled pork but I have given that a pass. I think the common connection is it is made from the loin and not the belly or shoulder.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    "canadian" just means back bacon, or loin bacon. down here the vast majority of our bacon is belly bacon.

in New England, we have "canadian" bacon on one tiny corner of the case (dunno whether it is sold elsewhere). just like the peameal bacon, it's from the loin, which is all that i think "canadian" refers to. lots of folks from canada around here (my wife's family, and my mom's side). if they went looking for bacon a couple generations ago, the "canadian bacon" would be closest to the pea meal stuff they were used to
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,778
    mmmmm mcdonalds southern style chicken sandwich :laugh:is it the single pickle that makes it southern style
    ·