Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook overnight--Boston Pork

Options
Unclecarl
Unclecarl Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my BGE and did a great turkey Christmas Day. Now I want to do a Boston Pork for New Years, using overnight cooking. Any tips on how to keep the fire going, or tips on cooking?

Comments

• kmellecker
    Options
    Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest you go to the "Search Forum" menu. All your questions will be answered. You will find it is a simple, very forgiving cook and well worth the time. Good luck and good eating.
  • stevesails
    Options
    get it to 250 and let it sit there for 45 minutes befroe starting your cook. there are some great links on Naked whiz for very detailed instructions for the pulled pork. start with a 3-4 pounder so you can do it during the day and not worry about it all night.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    If you do a search, you might have better luck with "Boston butt" or "pulled pork" or even "pork shoulder". I've not seen it called Boston pork on this Forum.

Great, forgiving cook. The Naked Whiz/Elder method is a great starting point.
  • wkygriller
    Options
    I am also doing a butt for New Years eve. I read the instructions from Elder. The only thing I am not sure of is how he lights the lump in the egg. I understand the chimney method, but wouldn't adding the hot coals to fresh lump cause an undesirable chemical smoke flavor in the pork. I have always been told to make sure I have a clean burn before putting on the meat. Did I miss something?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    starter cube, oil and paper napkin, crumpled paper, any small fire will do it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    just light in 2 places (small fire) with your desired method...I use mapp gas, stike uses the oil and napkin method, others starter cubes etc....
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I would not use a chimney starter for a long, slow cook. As said above, you really want a small fire. Starting the top of the lump pile with any technique will allow it to slowly burn down into the fresh lump. For whatever reason, fresh lump pieces that ignite this way do not seem to produce the nasty smoke they do when a big fire of new lump is started. Let the initial fire burn clean for a hour, keeping your vents barely open so the fire does not get out of control. When it is clean, add your hunk of meat and let'er cook way!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    just light a couple small fires on top as was suggested. with the elderward method, get a red pen and in big letters write 250 dome temp in the cooking section.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Welcome - Dont know how to post a link but this link has great stuff from Grandpa Grub and it really is helpoing this newbie figure things out. I too am doing my 4th Butt overnight tomorrow for new years eve. Good luck

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=977506&catid=1
  • Frobozz
    Options
    I use a mildly modified Minion Method (a method very popular with Weber Smokey Mountain owners):

1. Using only fresh charcoal (lasts longer), light the fire only in the center. Make sure the charcoal in the center has "caught." I typically use a propane torch.

2. Put your offset rig (plate setter, pizza stone, whatever) in place and add your meat.

3. Bring the whole thing to 250 degrees dome temp and stabilize.

I don't worry about any alleged acrid smoke. Using this method causes small amounts of charcoal to catch at a time. In the Weber, people typically use briquettes -- which have many, many more substances in them than all-natural charcoal -- and the Minion Method had won numerous BBQ contests. I've used this method many times in both Eggs and Webers with no problem.

One thing I don't do that many people here regularly do: I won't fill the charcoal to the top of the fire ring. In my experience, this can cause some problems with air circulation. This does force me on occasion to pull out the rig mid-cook and add charcoal.
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    Options
    I think the overnight is way over-rated. I'm in favor of getting up early, starting the egg, monitor it throughout the day and finish in the evening. Even if it requires pulling then re-heating.

About once a week there's a post that starts "is my butt OK" and explains how the fire was fine at midnight and then out at 8AM.

Its amazing how much you can learn about temperature contol throughout the day. Then after several butts if you still have the desire to overnight, have at it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think this is good advice. I did a couple of overnighters, and now I prefer to just do "same dayers". The end result is just as good. I would have lost my second butts had my wife not woke up and checked on the egg. :blush:

If you are set on doing an overnighter- then a remote thermometer with alarms like the maverick ET-73 is a great tool to have. If you don't have one of these, then I would suggest setting an alarm clock to check on it sometime in the night.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    My first cook was an over nighter. Now that I think about it that was pretty ambitious. I used the Competition Style Pork Butt directions found in the BGE "Cookbook For Eggheads. No problem with the fire. Lit the Egg at 11 p.m. and put the meat on after about 30 minutes at 230. Had fire until I pulled it at a little after 5 the next afternoon. Best pulled pork I ever had.

Good luck