Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken on a medium BGE

Options
Pro du Bar B Q
Pro du Bar B Q Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi I am from Montreal, Canada.
just got (at last) my first BGE for Christmas!

I have ordered a plate setter but didn't get it yet.
I am asking this question: can I use thin foil on the grill for cooking 2 chicken, and what temp and for how long?

thanks for answering,

Mike
Bon appétit !!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Pro du Bar B Q,

You can use any kind of flat pan and get indirect. Preferably with a rack. Spatchcock direct works very well with chicken.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    Thank you for your advices!
    Bon appétit !!
  • Banker John
    Options
    first of all, welcome. I am confident you will learn to love your new Egg. :)

Do you have a raised grid/grid extender? A grid extender is used to raise the cooking surface AWAY from the flame and still be direct. Personally, I like the extneder for certain cooks - especially chicken. If you do not have an extender, they are easy to make.

To make a grid extender, you will need an extra grate, 3 stainless bolts 4" long, 6 nuts (2 each) for the bolts, 3 wing nuts and 9 stainless washers. I used all stainless hardware. Attach the bolt using 2 washers to the extra grid. At the bottom of the bolt, attach another bolt/washer/wing nut. The end result will be a grid that stands up 3-4 inches and can be place on top of a grate that sits on the fire ring. Under the grid extender, one can place a foil pie tin to catch drippings.

I use this homemade extender to cook chicken & fish or anything that I want higher in the dome for cooking farther away from the direct flame but still get the infrared heat of cooking direct.

Try this method with a spatchcock chicken bone side down without turning or flipping or turning the chicken... one of our household favorites.

Enjoy!
  • Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    Finally,
    in a 18F and very windy, got those birds cooked perfect!
    In fact, I have never tasted chicken breat taht juicy and tender!

I will be a Platinum Egger soon!
    Bon appétit !!