Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Went overboard on the prime rib--picture heavy!

BHE1BHE1 Posts: 205
edited 3:49PM in EggHead Forum
My family (wife and 2 kids) recently relocated to Florida and this is the first Christmas I have not hosted dinner for friends/family. We wanted to keep tradition with Prime Rib for dinner but I bought way too much for 4 people--8.5 lbs.

The prime rib turned out fantastic but we had quite a bit leftover--so to spread the cheer we sent several pieces over to the neighbors house!! I love Christmas time. Merry Christmas.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Prep--Kosher salt, Pepper, and Herbs
IMG_0420.jpg
Cooked at 325*; pulled at 115* for reverse searIMG_0421.jpg
Seared at 550*IMG_0422.jpg
IMG_0424-1.jpg
Rested for 20 minutes and cut
IMG_0426.jpg
Serving Platter
IMG_0427.jpg
Plated
IMG_0431.jpg
Leftovers!!!
IMG_0432.jpg
Now I'm ready for some Christmas Cheer!IMG_0411.jpg
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,356
    Very nice looking prime rib and kind of you to spread the xmas cheer. I'm sure your neighbors appreciated it.

The blue!...someone was good this year!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,837
    Got anymore leftovers? I'll trade! Prime rib is my favorite beef cook. Have you ever investigated doing it in a salt crust? You loose the well done ends unless you leave the ends un-salted, but worth the effort. Happy Holidays!

NEWCROPPEDBOTTLETABLE.jpg G
    ·
  • fieroguyfieroguy Posts: 777
    You ain't actually EAT that, are you???
    Looks great, thanks for posting.

Scotch.jpg
    The Glenlivet was a Christmas present...
    ·
  • Looks pretty darn tasty!
    ·
  • Looks better than .........
    ·
  • I've also heard the salt crusted ribeye roast is great. I'm gonna try it next time.
    ·
  • BHE1 looks like you nailed that prime rib roast! :)

Merry Christmas.
    ·
  • I was really enjoying the photos of your cook until
    I got the last pic- then I just got jealous! Looks like a perfect day! Merry Christmas.
    ·
  • planning on doing a 8.5lb (5 bone) today.... also ending with some Johnny Walker Blue and a couple of Cohiba's...I was wondering how long you cooked yours for. I was gonna sear it, rest it, wrap it in proscutto and finish at 300ish...didn't know how long to cook for...4 hours seem to long?
    ·
  • BHE1BHE1 Posts: 205
    Stormy,

To be honest, I'm not sure how long the roast was on the egg. I used an electronic meat probe and pulled at 115*. The egg was steady around 325 for the cook (I think the roast was on for approximately 2.15-2.30 hrs. Once it hit 115 I pulled it took out my platesetter and got the temp up to 550* for a nice sear.

The roast turned out perfectly cooked and tasted just the same. Hope yours is a good one today.
    ·