Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WTK How long to brine turkey, time and temp to cook

Options
dan
dan Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p]I have a turkey in the brine, I put it in at about 1PM today, probably a little late for Christmas dinner tommorow but .....[p] Was wondering how long should I keep it in the brine, and how long and a what temp to cook it. I think it only weighs about 8 or 9 pounds.[p]Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!![p]

Comments

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    Dan,[p]ASSUMING you did your brine at 1 cup salt / gallon of water then 24 hours is best - but overnight will give you great results. I cook as close to 350 as possible so the skin will crisp up. THere is no real amount of connective tissue to break down so low and slow does not but as much and can give you rubbery meat and terrible skin.[p]One benefit of brining is that the birds cook more quickly. The added sodium and water seem to cook the meat faster. Net is: Pay attention to your thermometer - REMEMBER that the bird will continue to cook after you take it out and cover it so remove about 10 degrees or so short of your target temp. The higher your cooking temp the more carryover heat you will have in the bird.[p]
    tlhrtp