Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fried Pork Butt (thanks Little Chef!)

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to say thanks to Little Chef for the advice on deep fried pork butt.
I had a butt I was planning on smoking for thanksgiving but didn't have the time.
Since I had the turkey fryer going I asked if anyone had ever deep fried pork butt. Little Chef gave me some advice and man was it right on! Cut the butt into small chunks and into the fryer. They were awesome!!! Obviously very different than smoked, but great none the less.
On a side note: I also deep fried a trukey and did a spatchcocked turkey on my XL. They were both great but this year 1st prize has to go the egged bird. I have been deep frying my turkeys for about 12 years and will continue to do so, only from now on there will be a spatchcocked turkey to go along with the fried one. That is until the fried one stops getting eaten and the family demands more Egged turkey!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    florida Nick: Thanks for taking the time to say thanks! :) Really glad you tried it, and even more pleased that you enjoyed it so much! It's a Latin comfort food.
    Sounds like Thanksgiving was a hit, so good for you! Now put on your warm clothes! It's gonna get cold! :ohmy: :angry:
    (where in Florida?)
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    I like it and you can always count on LC for good ideas!

This reminds me of a tailgate a couple of years ago...we bought a plow disk to use as a wok on our turkey fryer burner. We welded a disk in the center hole where the axle would go and took it to tailgate. The intent was just to have a heavy duty pan for frying so the fries went in and were cooking along when we decided to put hamburger patties around the edge to fry. Well, they kept sliding in to the oil so we gave up the fight and fried them...very very good!

Bruce
  • Little Chef
    Options
    :laugh: It's kinda like bacon...everything tastes good fried!! :laugh: :whistle: :evil:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There are 3 joints around here that serve deep fried burgers.Dreyer's,Earnestine&Hazels,and another joint in Holly Springs,MS.The one in HS made top 10 burgers in the USA in USA Today a few years back. ;)
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    how small were the chunks, oil temp? and how long did you fry them? did you serve them with anything? sounds interesting.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Lovenbrau wrote:
    how small were the chunks, oil temp? and how long did you fry them? did you serve them with anything? sounds interesting.

What he said. More info, plz. I would love to try that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Chef
    Options
    Lovenbrau & Griffin: Chunks about 1-1.5 inches square (give or take). Just try to keep them all about the same size so they cook evenly. I make a cilantro rub (kind of like a pesto) with cilantro, garlic, s & p processed until smooth. If you're doing a whole butt into chunks, figure 1-2 bunches of cilantro depending how big they are, and about 20 cloves of garlic. :whistle: Rub the chunks down, let them marinate a few hours or overnight, then fry in 375* oil. (Veg, Corn, canola, peanut oil...whatever, but not olive oil) Note: I don't recommend frying in the Egg, so I guess this is technically "OT". ;) This recipe is mandatory in this house for any trimmings of spares, etc. And yeah, I've even done it to baby backs...shhh. :laugh:
    Here is the original thread:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1003524&catid=1

Note also, these cook quickly...pretty much done when they float, but leave them in long enough to get golden brown.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have a Broaster(pressure fryer) and might try this???
  • Lovenbrau
    Options
    Thanks LC, your posts are always spot on!