Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got my egg

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It seemed like the wait took forever, but I finally got my Big Green Egg. The reason it took so long is that over the holiday I had to make a little trip to visit a friend whose work sells BGEs. Let's just say I got the family discount and it was cheap.

We got home last night and with the help of a friend got it all put together and its ready to go. Unfortunately it was too late to cook on it last night and neither the wife nor I wanted to go to the store to buy something and then cook after a 6 hr drive.

So we are already to have a trial run tonight. I am thinking something easy. Maybe chicken legs or thighs, some prosciutto wrapped asparagus and maybe some grilled squash.

We're pretty excited, but I am a little nervouse. I've been grilling and smoking for 13 years, but this is my first time on a BGE. I do have a few questions. If I do thighs, do I need to use the placesetter? Or will the grate over the fire ring be enough? What temp should I shoot for on the thermometer in the dome? I was thinking 350. And last, how much wood chunks should I add to the lump?

Thanks to everybody for all the help here. I've been pre-reading for awhile and I'm ready to finally give it a go.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Welcome to the party, Griffin!

You might want to start out indirect (platesetter, legs up, with grid on top) and aim for 350 ish....
    a little wood goes a long way, too.....remember to sneak up on the dome temp -- and calibrate that dome thermometer, too B)

Fun times ahead --- and great score on the "family discount" :lol:
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    These eggs tend to multiply. They don't like living alone on the patio. Mine took two weeks to sprout a mini. I think another 6 hr trip is in store for you.
    Enjoy your egg, and buy it a lot of toys.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Congrats, on the egg and welcome to the forum.

I would recommend lighting the egg and having the temperature very stable first. Thighs are great cooked direct - I do marinated boneless thighs at 375 when cooking direct.

For a lower bone-in thigh cook, I have a raised rack I use, direct at 275 for 1 3/4 hours or so. Both ways are good. I use apple wood chips layered throughout the lump.

You have plenty of grilling experience, so I would not worry to much about the cook, and just go for it.

Good luck and enjoy your egg, Griffin
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SomedayMommy
    Options
    Congrats on the egg!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Your culinary abilities are about to be turned upside down...watch your weight!
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    as PattyO says these things do multiply! I got a medium in July and bought a large a few weeks ago, they are habit forming! One thing that I learned that makes the cooks better is to get you fire up to the desired temp and let it stabilize for 15 or 20 minutes before putting anything on, I think the food tastes better
  • Griffin
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and advice.

PattyO....don't think there will be another trip soon. We met up with our friends back in our hometown, which is actually about 8 hours away from us and our friends had to drive four hours. So really it would be like a 12 hour drive if we couldn't arrange to meet them again. We broke up the last part of the drive over two days staying at our family ranch leaving only 6 hours to drive yesterday. Plus I got to sell her on how well the egg works before we get another one.

Another question....I see where people talk about lighting the fire in 3 places. I was planning on using one of those propane torches. Should I just concentrate it in three places for a bit? How long? Or just direct it over the whole surface for awhile?

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Dave Katz posted this a few weeks ago and I bookmarked it. Haven't tried it yet- but it looks great.

http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2010/10/05/thighs-veggies/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I do most of my chicken parts directly over the fire, but with the grid raised to at least the level of the opening. Three firebricks spaced around the fire ring will get the job done. If you can't raise the grid, by all means, use the plate setter.

Your in for a treat. Cooking on the BGE will change the way you live.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I didn't get here yesterday, but I should have known I would find this here as well. ;) You are going to like that egg a lot. I have given one hunk of metal away and the other is borderline at the moment. :laugh:

Welcome and enjoy... the folks around here have some powerful Egg Juju for sure. B)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Griffin
    Options
    Derby City Egghead wrote:
    I didn't get here yesterday, but I should have known I would find this here as well. ;)

Are you on another forum as well? BBQ Bible maybe?

Rowlett, Texas