Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

More praise for PBM’s Gravy

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,521
edited 3:22AM in EggHead Forum
After making Pork Butt Mike’s Gravy Sunday (for Thanksgiving) we had a lot of the 4 hour cooked down clear turkey stock and the pulled necks/wings for future use.
Put the cornbread dressing together last night and used the leftover stock and the pulled meat from the wings & necks –WOW, did I say WOW…..
I will do this stock from now on. Very easy, just takes all day….
Thanks Mike
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Mickey, do you have a link to PBM's gravy post?

Thanks Pat, I appreciate that.

Happy Thanksgiving. Kent
    That does look great!

Again thanks, Kent
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,521
    Kent I added a package of necks to his mix. Lots of good meat came off them. Also could not find package of turkey giblets(?spelling)
    and used chicken gizzards (dog loved them when we pulled and cleared the stock).
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Thanks Mickey. It was 3 or 4 years ago when I made some turkey stock and was really surprised about how much meat came off the neck. Buying just the necks, wings and giblets are really expensive (per pound) out this way, but the aroma and resulting stock sure is good.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Kent
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Mickey, Publix here had the gizzards in 1 pound tupperware containers. I also bought a package of necks and these things are huge!!!! at least I hope they are necks :huh: :pinch: :blush:
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,521
    I am with you on the size of the necks.
    Pat during the summer when spatchcocking a couple of chickens I grilled the gizzards and I (maybe the only person on earth) liked them.
    Have been looking for turkey gizzards to try it with.
    Thought just before done to coat in Bone Sucking Sauce as well.

• I usually smoke two turkey breasts and do something similar with the backs. Turkey breasts don't stand up too well without the thighs and drums to add support, so I cut the backs out, just like when you spatchcock a chicken, except I don't flatten the breast.

The backs then get roasted, dropped into the stockpot and picked for the stuffing/dressing.