Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! First turkey on the Egg!

Options
bbegotka
bbegotka Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read through a number of threads here and did a brief Google search and decided that I should just join the forum and ask the experts.

I am a relatively new Egg owner and my poultry experience on it is limited to chicken legs and breasts so a 20 lb turkey seems a bit daunting.

I am actually transporting my Egg to my parents' house because my dad has always wanted a 'smoked' turkey for Thanksgiving.

That being said, I am trying to determine the following:

Should I buy a plate setter or a turkey stand?

Should I brine the turkey or will it have a sufficient 'smoked' flavor if I don't brine and use smoking chips?

I plan to use apple chips since I cannot seem to find pecan chips anywhere. I have never smoked with chips, so I am assuming that these should be soaked and then spread in a spiral pattern over the top of the coals. Will that last for the entire process?

Lastly, it looks like 'low and slow' is not the preferred method for cooking the turkey, so I am thinking of cooking at 350. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I know that part of the problem is that I just need to do it and then modify based on the results. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Try this, it should answer all your questions.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Gotta type faster, Mike :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Had to go look up the link. :laugh: Didn't have it saved anywhere.
  • BigDaddy65
    Options
    I too just got an egg and a Mad Max turkey was the third thing I cooked on the egg. Did a test run 2 weeks ago. Turned out great everyone loved it.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Do it the try and true way. Why mess with perfection? Mad Maxx all the way.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

There are many links to Mad Max's method of cooking a turkey, you can also read his post above.

To answer some of your questions. If you don't already have a plate setter you will need to figure out something to hold your pan, rack and turkey. It is wise to cook indirect which you could use an Adjustable Rig and or Spider, plate setter, or dual racks. I would suggest you cook indirect on this first cook.

Being your first turkey I wouldn't brine the bird will come out fantastic, better then you can imagine as long as it is cooked to temperature. Most folks like the 165° in the breast and 180° in the thighs. USDA says the bird is done if it hits 165° breast & thighs. 165° thighs/legs are really moist and flavorful. The legs/thighs can easily handle 180° and still be moist and flavorful.

Apple chips are great as is cherry wood chips for fowl. Hardwood chips/chunks put a strong smoke flavor in fowl. No need to soak the chips or chunks just spread out the chips away from the light lump so some of the chips will catch during the cook. The spiral method is good but remember to put some chips down in the lump also.

325° - 350°, calibrated dome is a good cooking temperature for turkey and the meat will impart enough smoke at that temperature.

Other suggestions is to read over Mad Max's method and adjust from there.

Most important suggestion with any cook is cook the food to proper done temperature, don't relay on time/temperature only.

You will have a great tasting turkey when done in the egg. One really has to work hard to mess up the cook.

GG
  • bbegotka
    Options
    Thanks GG, that's exactly what I needed! Wasn't sure exactly about the chips since I've never smoked before. I also really appreciate the lack of pretension. I know it can be hard to resist with a nervous newbie! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You are welcome, you are really going to enjoy the egg'd Turkey. Looking forward to seeing how it turned out. Make sure you take some pictures (and notes for your future reference).

Kent