Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions re; Gasket Replacement

Options
MCR
MCR Posts: 270
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Questions regarding gasket replacement?

The original BGE gaskets are on the base and the lid of the egg. I understand why changing to "Rutland" or others brands due to the material and the construction of the gaskets.

Why only installing the gasket to the base? Yes, the new gasket is heavier, thicker and does a better seal than the original.

Why not installing if to the lid or the top? The top installation would protect the gasket from charcoal dust, ash, dripping sauces, etc. Would the gasket not remained clean for longer, so operating as designed and offering a better seal for a much longer period.

I'm about to change mine, I would like your inputs.

Thanks
Marc

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    The theory is if installed on the top there is a greater possibility of fiberglass "hairs" getting onto your meat.

I have a medium and installing a Rutland on the bottom did not create enough material to close the gap no matter how many band adjustments I made. So I installed them on the top and bottom using silicone adhesive and never looked back. I believe it has been about 1.5 years now and you can't tell any difference since the day they were installed...absolutely air tight! I also ran a torch over the glass fibers after installation to eliminate any strays. The only danger to fiberglass is if you actually injest enough fibers to create a blockage in your intestines. I prefer pork over fiberglass any day.
  • MCR
    Options
    I have never taught about the debrit and the fibergrass hair falling onto the food.

Thanks for the inputs
    Marc
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    if you "bunch" the gasket back into itself it becomes wider and thicker thus only needing it on the bottom. Just trust me - I know what I'm talking about.
    IMG_0317.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I bunched it as wide as the ceramic lip which I believe was 3/4" on the medium. There was no way the egg would seal with only the bottom gasket installed. Although...I may be insane.
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    I installed a Nomex gasket supplied by BGE as a replacement to my original gasket. I installed it on the top only by placing it into a heavy bead of silicone, letting it set up for an hour, then placing the top gently onto the bottom, and let that set for 24 hours. I trimmed off any squeeze out with a sharp knife. My seal is air tight. I've done many high heat cooks and no damage has occurred to the gasket. Remember to preheat the Nomex to preshrink it prior to installation. Now when I slop on the bottom rim it's easy to clean off.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    A dirty gasket is a happy gasket, I installed on the base only because well,,, it's the easiest place to put it and it works. I've got more crap floating around my yard from the trees to worry about a microscopic piece of fiberglass getting on my steak
  • MCR
    Options
    Operation was successful and look good! No cook to test but it does look gooood, nice and even all around.

I installed the gasket at the bottom to easily keep a eye on its condition over time.

Thanks again
    Marc