Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20lb veticle turkey cook time

Options
Big Polish
Big Polish Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone cook a 20lb bird on a verticle roaster?
If so do you have cooking temp time tips?

I have seen a huge range here some say 12min a lb @ 350 others saying they had to cook it for 6-7 hours

Thanks in advance

Comments

• THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Time is only a general guideline. cook the turkey by temp. 180 deg for thighs and 165 for breast. Time will vary due to many conditions which are not nearly as controlable as temp readings. Temp tells actually if it is cooked to right doneness.

this applies to all cooks, use temp, not time
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree with THA. If you have a remote probe this really helps. In my very limited experience (1 turkey), the time was closer to 12 min per lb. This was MM method (in a v-rack, horizontal, over a roasting pan).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Never done one that way so can't offer any advice on times...but agree with the others, internal temp is the right answer.....I replied to offer you a warning....thats a big bird to go vertical...absolutely do a dry run test fit before anything is burning or hot to make sure you can fit it in and close the dome..also pay attention to the dome thermometer when you are closing the dome, you may need to pull it out some..