Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulling the BGE Thermometer

Options
KC Transplant
KC Transplant Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a relatively new egger, I have a question. The dealer showed us how to pull the thermometer and gave different scenarios when we might pull it, if we wanted to. However, I generally leave the thing covered except when the thing hasn't cooled down by bed time. The wife mentioned that I should pull the thing if we aren't going to use it since it is getting colder out.

Do any of you pull your thermometer when it gets colder? Or rainy? Snowy?

Thanks!

Gonna cook a turkey breast this afternoon to make sure I've got it down for Thanksgiving.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i toss the bge therm in a drawer and put the teltru one in, it stays in the egg all year, snow rain, sun, mud season
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have the original thermo (over a year now). The only times I have removed it is when I calibrate. Otherwise, it stays on the uncovered egg. I sometimes get a bit of condensation, but it's just a small spot in the center. Still readable and works fine.

As for, "we aren't going to use it since it is getting colder out", what's that got to do with it? :laugh: If our Canadian friends can egg in the dead of winter, so can you! The egg certainly doesn't care!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KC Transplant
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    I have the original thermo (over a year now). The only times I have removed it is when I calibrate. Otherwise, it stays on the uncovered egg. I sometimes get a bit of condensation, but it's just a small spot in the center. Still readable and works fine.

As for, "we aren't going to use it since it is getting colder out", what's that got to do with it? :laugh: If our Canadian friends can egg in the dead of winter, so can you! The egg certainly doesn't care!! :)

Ha! She means until the next time we use it...generally the next weekend. I told her this thing isn't getting retired for the winter. I showed her pictures on this site of people egging in the snow. She then asked if that meant we could have ribs and pulled pork in the winter to which I replied, "yes."
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good man! Cold and snow aren't bad. I'm not much of a fan of egging in a torrential downpour though. Leroy's (Spring Chicken) pic always makes me cringe. Imagine standing there tending this cook!! It's probably why he built the coop!! :)

EggingInTheRain.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• civil eggineer
    Options
    The best tasting pulled pork and ribs come off the egg when the outside temps are -10 or lower. BBQ in the fridgis winter can't be beat and gives one hope for warmer days to come. By the way, pull the spring off your thermometer and throw it away. It is far better to be able to easily pull it out for testing or to insure it doesn't get damaged when you have a full load of food in the egg.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    mine stays in 100% of the time,
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    i think the winter is goin to be the best. I got my egg this spring and i cant wait till winter to but some ribs, brisket, and butts on to get the neighbors more jealous than they already are! :laugh:
  • KC Transplant
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Good man! Cold and snow aren't bad. I'm not much of a fan of egging in a torrential downpour though. Leroy's (Spring Chicken) pic always makes me cringe. Imagine standing there tending this cook!! It's probably why he built the coop!! :)

EggingInTheRain.jpg

That is dedication. I'll honestly say I would have just stayed inside and cooked!