Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey: on Feet on PS vs. ADJ Rig

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok one more mad max question.

Anyone out there prefer to do the turkey on the adjustable rig versus the platesetter and bge feet? I was wondering about this, curious if it would be too high in the dome or whatever and would mess up the ratio. Anyone with experience?

thanks
tim

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    TIm,

Depends on the size of the turkey, but my experience has been that the AR puts it too high in the dome and the roasting pan and/or turkey won't fit.

Tomorrow I will either use the spider with a pizza stone on it or most likely, the inverted platesetter (feet up) with the roasting pan resting on spacers. That's what has worked in the past.

You should try your AR and see if your pan and v-rack will fit. You can also place the turkey on the rack and make sure the dome closes properly and the dome temp probe isn't touching the bird.

Good Luck !
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    if you have a spider/AR rig its a very elegant set up for a mad max turkey. .. i've done it this way too... .put your spider in, then the pizza stone on the spider. ..then the AR in the egg with the 2 bars in at their lowest settings. ...then your roasting with turkey right on the bars. ...so long as your roasting pan fits within the AR, it works great!!! do a test fit and see how it works for you with your own pan. ...

other thing you can do is put your spider in with the pizza stone, then just put the regular grate in on the fire ring.... the gap between the stone and grate provides sufficient air circulation under the pan roasting sitting on the grate.. . .
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    here you go ... i found them. .. .pics of the AR set up

first the spider

IMG_1444.jpg

with pizza stone

IMG_1443.jpg

now the adjustable rig with bars set in the lowest slots

IMG_1442.jpg

my roasting pan. ...with a basketball for the test fit

IMG_1440.jpg

and now with as i recall about a 22 pound turkey in it. . .

IMG_1448.jpg

it was a beautiful fit with spider/AR set up!!

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

the finished bird

IMG_1460.jpg