Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey - Starting temp?

Options
mikenmar
mikenmar Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What temperature is the turkey supposed to be when you start the Mad Max method?

Is it right out of the refrigerator?

Or do you let it come to room temperature? (Or is that a no-no for poultry?)

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Only cooked Mad Max once and I took it our of the refrigerator, stuffed it, ice packed the breast, then added the herb butter and straight to the Egg. I had good results following the instructions from the Naked Wiz's web site. I definately don't think that you want to allow the bird to come up to room temp.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    I just watched Max's demo this past weekend.

If I'm correct, you'll take the bird out of the refrig...then apply the herbed butter and wine pour, and then apply the ice bag for 20-30 min.

As it's a large mass of meat, you've got plenty of time to work on it before putting it on the Egg.

End all....I don't believe Max worries at all about temp before putting in the Egg. Keep in mind the 40-140 principles for raw meat, and you should be fine. Or, worry more about the ice bag stage, rather than 'getting' the bird to a certain temp before putting into the Egg.

Am I right Max? :)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    not up to room temp. ...but it is probably about an hour or so from the time it comes out of the fridge till the time it goes in the egg. ..takes that long to:

1. pull the stuff out of it and set up your stock pot
    2. prepare you butter paste
    3. 20 - 30 minutes for the ice bag to do its thing
    4. apply the butter paste and wine
    5. then out and into the egg. .. .

hope that helps. . .
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you pay good attention, jason!! . . :lol: