Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advantages of a Mini ?

Options
Troglodyte
Troglodyte Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I have a large BGE and love it. I grill, bake, smoke, wok, and use all of the accessories. Often, though, I just want to grill a steak or chicken breasts for me and my wife. So, a grill the size of a mini would be very useful.

My question is: why wouldn't a small Weber do just as well as a Mini? Do people do anything other than a straight grill on them? If not, how is a Mini superior to a basic grill?

TIA.
-----------------------------------------------------
Albuquerque, NM
Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    I use mine for most all of my solo cooks when the family is away. Quick, fast, efficient. Great for camping trips, too! Don't leave home without it!

Mike

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

IMG_3236-1.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    I also have a Mini Weber, and there is certainly nothing wrong with them. The Mini is just so cool! The ease of use, the quickness in attaining the desired temp., and the ability to shut down and conserve charcoal all are plusses in my book. Besides, it's just more fun, and a great conversation piece. I've been told women think they're cute. :silly:

Mike
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    How much does a mini run?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    I'll have to defer to someone who has made a recent purchase. Mine is a hand-me-down from MollyShark. Wouldn't trade it. ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    OctoberFishing096a.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the Smokey Joe kettles, I use mine a lot, but looking at LR's pictures and also photos from ClayQ are all of the convinging you need to make you want to buy a mini. Yes, they are cute... but mini owners really love them.

FYI, the Smokey Joe will not get at searing hot as the mini can, and of course the insulation properties of any ceramic cooker are better than a steel pit. This is a big factor if you are cooking in the wind or cold. One upside is that the Smokey Joe does have a larger grate than the mini.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like mine especially on a cold and snowy night! :)

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The mini egg is superior to a basic grill as a large egg is superior to any grill. Pretty simple huh? ;)
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Michael,

I love it! :P that is awesome!

My wife would shoot me! :laugh:
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    cooked a pulled pork in the mini lately:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=984763

not sure, if it´s the same fun - fun means here, nothing to do, the egg runs and runs and runs... - with the Weber.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I have a mini for all the reasons enumerated in the OP. Most of my quick-grilling on weeknights fits just fine atop the 9" grid, but I do go indirect w/my Mini all the time. Get the mini Woo and two 8" pizza stones; you'll be all set. I bake apple crisps, simple fruit galettes, 8" pans of cornbread, etc.

The not-so-secret specialty of the mini is pizza. It gets screaming hot, the pie is close to the heat, and top browning is superior to the large thanks to diminutive size of the dome (I think, but perhaps some thermodynamics expert out there has a better explanation). Yes, the pizzas are small, but you can let everyone customize their own pie, or make a couple of pizzas then cook dessert (or bake potatoes or sweet potatoes for the next day).

Fuel efficiency is improved if you use the rain cap to snuff out the fire, and also if you do a little precision tuning on the lower draft door. My Mini's draft door, as new, was a bit wiggly and didn't fit as tightly as my Large's sliding metal vent. So I tapped and tamped the edges and voila, it seals quite a bit better now.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I could never cook chicken on a weber.
    Can not tell you on price as I won mine last year at the Plano Fest - show up Saturday as they are giving 2 more away free.....

photo-9.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hey, a fireplace is for fire, isn't it? :) It works very well on days when the atmospheric pressure is low. On a bright, sunny day, I get a little bit of smoke in the house. Not much though. I keep the glass doors closed and that helps some. Besides, who doesn't like the smell of food cookin' on the grill?! :)

I definitely don't use the MAPP torch to light it in the house! Starter cubes only. My carpet would not appreciate the sparks!! :laugh: Also, a sheet pan on the hearth keeps the grease drips at bay.

Fireplace cooking in the winter is actually the reason I bought a mini instead of a small. Would have preferred a small, but while it would fit in the fireplace, I wouldn't be able to OPEN it! I use the mini as much as the large in the summer, maybe more. Both are on the patio. In winter though, the mini in the fireplace wins, hands down. Haven't tried a butt on it yet - but it's on my list.

EDIT: By the way, I long ago cracked the CI DO in the pic so I can't use it for cooking. Couldn't bring myself to toss it so it was decorative only. Until I bought the mini. Now, it's my indoor LUMP container! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Troglodyte
    Options
    Great post, Celeste. Thanks! You might have tipped the scales over to the Mini for me.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Albuquerque, NM
    Large BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    It's hot n kwick!!

the4thporksalmon009.jpg

Denverfest2009042.jpg

It's portable

Birthdaycelebrationatwork003.jpg

It'll cook a small pork butt

Miniatwork007.jpg
    :);)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Mickey STOLE mine last year :angry:

Gonna get even this year :evil:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Stay sober this year and don't drop your ticket on the ground like last year :woohoo: :whistle:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    my ticket was in it's holster like Bonnie planned for all tickets to be!
    I'll stay sober IF YOU WILL B)
  • asianflava
    Options
    Heh heh, I was just at my dealer buying starters. We were talking about this exact topic. With the exception of portability, I can't figure out why anybody would buy one.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Which dealer were you at?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    I have a large, small, and mini. I started with the large and had it for years before I got the small. I got the small to take camping and I use it at home when the large is occupied with another cook. The small is a great unit. It will do everything the large will do it’s just, well you know, smaller. While the small is portable and does work great for camping it’s not easy for one person to move around. It’s still fairly heavy and awkward to carry, thus I got the mini. The mini won’t do for camping because I cook for the whole family and usually a few others as well. While the mini can be used for indirect it’s really not very good at it in my opinion. You are just too close to the fire, and the dome. I know the mini owners here love them and post all kinds of great cooks which shows you that it obviously can be done and done well. I’m not knocking the mini. I love mine and won’t give it up, but if the only reason you are looking at the mini is because it’s a waste to fire up the large for just you and your wife then get the small. If you are planning on traveling with it, depending on your physical abilities the mini may be a better option. The difference in the amount of lump you will use between the two is pretty much insignificant in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you want a comparison between the Mini and the Smokey Joe, I can't help you.

When I was a kid, my parents used to love grilling on a hibachi. to me the mini is a hibachi on steroids.

When my dealer found out I wanted a Mini, he squinted-up his face and said "Can you cook anything but a steak for one person on it?"- lesson here is don't look to the dealer for encouragement or advice.
    IMG_3402.jpg
    Above is stuffed boneless leg of lamb (3 or 4 lb)

as far as capacity, I have two daughters and I have no problem cooking entrees for the 4 of us on the mini.

When you're done cooking on it and need to put it in the car, but it's still hot, I wear gloves when I carry it and wrap it in a towel or two in the car. It's compact and everything fits inside it, don't need to empty ash before packing up, though that would probably help it cool down quicker.

I like to stick with one system and that's a big reason why I opted for the Mini over the smokey Joe. Also, it's fun to get creative and see all the stuff you can cook on it. (I've got to try pulled pork on it!) typically the lump I use in the mini is leftover from cooks on the Large. I have a tin with a lid that I put the smaller leftover lump in and keep that with the mini.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    You make a good point that I neglected to put in my first post...the mini is a great way to use up all those bitty pieces of lump at the bottom of the bag, or from a previous cook in your large. Small pieces do just fine in it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Can not tell you on price as I won mine last year at the Plano Fest - show up Saturday as they are giving 2 more away free.....

We are planning on it. Already got all the details and stuff. What would be a good time to show up? I'd really like to meet people and learn how to cook on a BGE. Really looking for tips and advice.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings