Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

# 1 Least Desirable Reason To Clean Your Freezer

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Without question, inadvertantly leaving the door open for 24 hours will do the trick every time. Twenty pounds of melted ice, melted popsicles, and the blood of various mammals can really make a mess.

It's now clean as a whistle and ready to restock. The biggest loss was several bags of pecans put up by my Dad prior to his death that were in the bottom bin which collected all of the liquids. Sad.

Always check your door.

Mike

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I bought one with an alarm built-in to try and avoid that problem we hear so darn often. My good buddy just did the same thing, 3rd time in 10 years for him.
  • wkygriller
    Options
    I have a friend with an up right freezer. He locks it every time he closes it. The key is hanging by a string attached to the handle. He started doing this after he lost a freezer full on seafood.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    A lot of years ago we were having the floor tiled. The guys were to move the freezer (and re-plug it in). Guess WHAT.
    Three days later the 30 lbs of King Mackerel started to talk to us. Have never to this day had mackerel....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I use chest freezers for that reason. If you forget to close the top most of the time the only thing that is thawed is what is on top..

I do have a fridge in the garage and if you shut the fridge door too hard the freezer will open. I am thinking of putting a latch on both the freezer and fridge door.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    That was us two weeks ago :( my wife is still upset and apologizing. Someone on the forum suggested setting the front legs higher. I did that and the freezer door closes better. Still an expensive lesson :ermm:

Jay
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    we have an old spare frdige in the basement, and i added a sliding bolt to the door. got into the habit when shutting it of sliding the bolt across. it had a habit of popping open when the fridge door was shut, and this keeps it closed.

sorry to hear about it.

we rented a lake house once, and one of the kids of our guests was playing "ice cream store" in the family room downstairs. she left the freezer open, and all the house-owners' stuff melted, which we replaced at considerable expense....
    ugh.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    worst that could happen in my house is that the ice melts in the trays and the vodka gets warm. :laugh: i have not put food in there for years. the camp is a different story, dad will put rotten chicken in there unmarked so that the trash wont smell til trash day and forget it in there, i dont touch any thing in that freezer and its full to the top :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    It's been a long time ago but, I remember a time when my dad bought a new chest freezer and screwed a hasp to it so it could be locked up. Now the rest of the story. Dad punctured a hole in the freon line and then had to have it fixed. :( Just saying be careful. Tim
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Live, learn, regret. :(
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Sounds like some wisdom in your discretion. ;)
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    I think I'll do something like that. This thing is very old but still operational.

LR
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Don't you just hate it when your Popsicles melt????
    Willis Tx.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    kinda like blasphemy, huh? :woohoo:
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    2 years ago, Hurricane Ike.
    Lost power and were not allowed back into Galveston for over a week.
    A free range whole turkey and two turkey breasts.
    As bad as this sounds it did not hold a candle to the two containers or Rocky Road Ice Cream...Looked like a bad science experiment in a "B" movie. Rocky Road on top shelf and it ate it's way out of the container and spawned the entire freezer on the way to the bottom.
    I swear I can almost still smell it just thinking about it. Cleaned it on and off for several days and had to use it for several weeks. Fridge and freezers were like trying to find gold in the street.

Very sorry about your pecans Mike. Some things just can't be replaced.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Yep, I can buy more steak. So, what you're saying is that you should eat the entire carton of Rocky Road in one sitting to avoid such disasters, huh? :blink:
    Ike was really a Stinker!

Mike
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I have to be careful what I say, my frig/freezer is almost 28 yrs. old and within hearing distance, I don't want to say anything that might upset it! :huh:

I have to agree with Photo Egg, hurricanes can ruin a perfectly good day. I always plan on having the bare minimum in my freezer during hurricane season but I never get around to it and it is always loaded, maybe next year. ;)

Sorry to hear of your hassles Mike, I'm afraid it happens to all of us.

Blair

• Little Steven
    Options
    Richard,

I have been to the fine metropolis of Cadiz.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wkygriller
    Options
    Steve,
    I wouldn't exactly call Cadiz a "metropolis" but it is a great little town. We have been here for about 5 years. If you haven't been through in the last year, you can now buy "a cold beverage" here. Us outsiders were able to get a wet/dry election passed!!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Richard,

It's over ten years since I was there. I remember it being dry. I think we were able to join a "club" to get a beer in the evenings.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Blair:

So it would seem judging by the number of kindred responses. Must be a common malady.

Mike
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Got home from work and went to check my freezer...it's closed. ;)
    Sorry for your troubles, especially the nuts.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    WAY BACK when, we had just bought a side of beef and a mouse decided "to build" in the freezer motor :angry:
    fortunately, we discovered it before everything went south :side:
    feel your pain :S
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Actually Mike it is fortunately a very rare malady. In the 27-28 years I have lived down here it has only happened a few times. Hurricanes Charlie and Wilma are the ones that come to mind. Charlie blew my mobile home over and removed my large screened in porch (all I could find was the front screen door and it was a block up the street, I never found the rest of the porch!), Wilma took the secondary roof off. The power outages both times were a bear. Hurricanes like hot weather and when they take the power out they kill not only freezers and frigs but A/C as well. Summertime down here in an aluminum trailer with no A/C is unreal. This trailer has lived it's expected lifetime and then some, the next one will have a good Honda generator. That would solve most of the problems as long as the house is not destroyed. My BGE is hurricane equipment. With no power many people loose the ability to cook and the very few restaurants that might be open after a hurricane will have waiting lines that are unbelievable. After Hurricane Charlie no one had power and all the traffic lights were blown down, I know of only one that was working afterward. More then one was hanging down into the street at windshield hight or laying on the side of the road. They asked people to stay off the roads but no one listened, they had no A/C or any way to cook food at home if they had food. The National Guard was called out just to direct traffic. It was a zoo.

That's life in the tropics for you. I want my next trailer to be something I can either tow or drive out of here when need be. Maybe get out of here in the summer and find some of that nice dry heat out west! :cheer:

Blair

• Lawn Ranger
    Options