Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another ceramic grill enters the arena...

PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    uh-oh
    context is important :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Several very nice features on this one. Wonder how it looks up close?
    Really like the bands fitting in a "lip" to stop them from slipping off the dome and base.

Saw another this weekend at out local Academy Outdoor Sports. Very poor made knock off. Price with cart was $500. Sloppy molding of ceramics and add on parts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Dome shape looks familiar. "Grill Dome" maybe?
  • I had a guy pitch me a kamando cooker before I got my egg this summer, it was a kamando Joe I think... It is red and if I remember right It was more expensive than the egg.

They said it was better than the egg because the ceramics are 1/4 inch thicker (also making the large more than 40 pounds heavier) The handle was wider so easier to handle, and something about the hinge being stronger.

I bet they don't have the backing that the egg does... and if the egg ceramics are thick enough to do the job... why add more and make it so much heavier?
  • Phil,

This just doesn't sound American to me.

"The portable bbq grills and smokers for Barbeque at gourmetpots are good helpers for almost everyone. If one enjoy having barbecue outdoor, these ceramic grills are your necessities. The most popular kamado grill will surely become your necessities during outdoor barbeque. Ceramic Grills provided by Gurmetpots guarantee your barbecue a nice one."

Steve :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    I saw that same model at our Academy up here. I'm not one to throw rocks just because someone new produces a ceramic cooker, but this one just looks thin, cheap, light, and poorly made. I fished out the instructions, such as they were, and if one has a problem it will be promptly handled by someone in the hinterland of China....
  • Wow these are pretty inexpensive - wonder where the ceramics are made, and where assembly is done.

Only a 10 year warranty on the ceramics, though.

The company has been in business since 2005, and introduced the ceramic cooker July 14, 2010.
  • Photo Egg
    I could not get a good look at the "guts" because they had it on a small riser shelf with another shelf above it.
    Could only open the dome a couple inches.
    If the cart was better made I would be temped to buy one. I like the cart style.
    But then again for 500 bucks with the cart you can't expect much.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I suspect you're right. Along those lines, I found this particularly amusing last week, especially considering most fortune cookies are made in the US, I think:
    IMG00106-20101017-1840.jpg

Also notice how super-lucky number 31 is...

And what a relief to read that the ceramics won't react with my food. Clearly, they have a leg up on other cooking devices.
  • In looking at the Nest vs. the GourmetPot cart, the Nest's legs are much farther apart than the GourmetPots - this would make me a bit nervous and question the stability of GourmetPot's cart. Just an observation. No bias intended.

Have not tried it, though - just going by looks.
  • Photo Egg
    I was refering to the model at the Academy store.
    It came with a 4 wheel cart. Two of the wheels were larger and air filled. Nice design but cheap material.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    They have to use thicker ceramice bc they are ent as good of a quality.

I Like that they keep coming out with these knock offs. The people who buy them around here always end up coming to me to learn how to use it and buy an egg when there cooker cracks after 6 months.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Well, the DFMT will not fall off because it is a lightweight stamping and it is bolted from the side. I removed the bolt with my Swiss army knife (I had a LOT of time, as my wife was shopping :silly) and there were stress cracks around the hole in the side.
    I thought the same thing about the stand: it is a pretty groovy neat design that is poorly built. Too bad.
  • Little Steven wrote:
    Phil,

This just doesn't sound American to me.

"The portable bbq grills and smokers for Barbeque at gourmetpots are good helpers for almost everyone. If one enjoy having barbecue outdoor, these ceramic grills are your necessities. The most popular kamado grill will surely become your necessities during outdoor barbeque. Ceramic Grills provided by Gurmetpots guarantee your barbecue a nice one."

Steve :laugh:

:lol: :silly: :laugh:
  • Anything remotely legal is in authentic American legalese! But the "reviews" are a riot, e.g.:

'This humidifier has a good quality. Useful when I make BBQ for my children. They love my food. With the help of this humidifier, I can cook delicious BBQ. Your product is pretty very well."

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Man, they stole my rib recipe!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Looks like they renamed the dragon fire.Been around a year or so.I think even under another name years ago.
    http://www.barbecue-smoker-recipes.com/dragon-fire-kamado.html