Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for side items to go with steak

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have a friend that has kidney disease so can not have things like potato's, tomato's, you know the toes things plus of course anything that is heavy on salt
want to do a couple steaks on the BGE but need some side items to accompany.
Would appreciate any suggestions.
thanks
gp

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    How about some roasted cauliflower along with some grilled fruit?

Found this website:
    http://www.davita.com/diet-and-nutrition/lifestyle/top-15-healthy-foods-for-people-with-kidney-disease/a/2113

I hope this helps.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Would a gratined dish be okay? I have one for mushrooms that I've made a couple times years and years ago and I always think I should make it again because it was so yummy. Plus you can make it ahead. (Once I made it ahead and found it in the fridge the day after the party - I was SO mad!) If that might work, I'll post the recipe.

Or a corn casserole? Just got a good, easy, recipe for that.

Give me an idea of what kind of ingredients and I'll come up with something!
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    Thanks.
    Please post
    I have done a corn pudding and that was ok.
    gp
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Okay. This is from the Jr League of Palo Alto cookbook, the first one (brown cover). It's out of print, so I don't feel bad about posting it. Both volumes of these cookbooks are excellent. Prolly the two cookbooks I would keep til the bitter end. Highly worth seeking out used copies.

Anyway....

Mushrooms au Gratin

2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
    4 tbls butter
    2/3 c sour cream
    2 tbls flour
    1/2 teas salt
    1/8 teas freshly ground pepper
    1/2 c chopped parsley
    1 c shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Saute the sliced mushrooms in butter for 1 minute, stirring. Cover the skillet and cook gently until the mushrooms are juicy, abut 3-5 mins.

In a bowl, blend the sour cream, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir gently into the mushrooms an heat to boiling. Remove from the heat immediately. Pour into a shallow, ungreased, 8x12 casserole. Combine the parsley and shredded cheese and sprinkle on top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Ex for baking, this dish ma be prepared ahead of time.
    Serves 8. Prep 20 mins, baking 10 mins.

Here is the corn recipe. It's from a friend.

Indian Corn Pudding

8 cups frozen corn (I use Trader Joe's roasted corn)
    5 T. sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/4 T. baking powder

Mix well in a bowl:

3 beaten eggs
    3/8 c. melted butter
    1/2 c. flour
    3 c. milk

Preheat oven to 325. Put first four ingredients in a bowl and mix.
    Add wet mixture.
    Pour into buttered casserole.
    Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes.. or until knife in center comes out clean.
    Let set for a spell before serving.

This recipe halves nicely. Use 2 eggs for half a recipe. Bake about 35-40 minutes.

Another great side vegge dish, also from the first Palo Alto Jr League book:

Shredded Zucchini

6 small zuccini
    2 tbls butter
    6 green onions, chopped
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    freshly ground nutmeg
    parmesan cheese (optional)

Shred zucchini. (A food processor is ideal, using the coarser shredding disk.) Drain on papere towels for a few minutes.

Place zucchini in a large saucepan or skillet with butter and green onions Turn on high heat and toss zucchini mixture until just heated through. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve immediately, sprinkling with parmesan cheese if you wish.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Wow, those sides all sound great!

How about sauteed or creamed spinach? Can he have mushrooms?
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    nope sorry, spinach is no the do not eat list
    thanks to all for your suggestions
    gp
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    You could grill polenta. That is pretty darn good.

Depending on where you live, you can buy rolls of cooked polenta or you can make some, let it cook in a loaf pan, slice it and fry it in butter or grill it.