Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood fired ceramic oven

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ate lunch at a place called the Good Pie in St Louis last weekend. They had a huge ceramic, wood fired oven that they used to cook pizza and calzone. It looked a little like a BGE. They told me that it is fired with oak wood and the internal temp in 900 degrees. It takes 90 seconds to cook a pizza. Pretty amazing!

IMG00027-20101022-1231.jpg
IMG00025-20101022-1230.jpg

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    This place was my first experience with real wood fired pizza..it looks like you just gotta let the images roll by...I remember 900 + on the thermometer in the stack...and a toy train that ran around the place then took mugs outside in the freezing Vermont nights, so every mug was frosty...an awesome experience and we did it every year for around 7 or 8 years in January....awesome pizza I might add..

http://www.killingtonsbest.com/
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    So the fire is in the back area of the stone. What is underneath? Is that just a plate warming area...can't quite make it out.
    Thanks for the pictures!! At work I make pizzas on a $80 thousand $$ gas fired, stone pizza oven. I'd much rather play with that one.
    Looks like there is a trash can for the peels, on the left.
    How was the pie?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    WessB, Outback Pizza looks like my kind of place. Sounds like a great place to hangout and eat wood fired pizza.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That's gotta be some good pizza. There's a couple of places around here with brick wood-fired ovens.

Back about the time I "finished" the Coop (It's really a never ending project), I decided I needed a wood fired pizza/bread oven. I didn't want to buy one. I wanted to make it. I'd only seen one or two for real but they looked like something I might want to build.

Not having built one before I started doing some Googling and learned that it ain't no piece-a-cake building one, but it can be done. I figured I was smart enough to do it.

I drew me up some plans and made a supplies list. Put together a composit photo of what it would look like and where it would go.

Here's what I came up with.

SanAntoniowithfireplaceandoven.jpg

But then there came some snags to my plans. Heart attack, bad back, failing knees, small budget: all the krap that takes the fun out of building big, heavy concrete things.

I still don't have one but it ain't out of the planning stage yet either.

I figure if a dirt-dobber can build a sturdy nest out of mud, surely I can make an oven out of brick and concrete. One of these days...

Spring "The Fun Is In The Building It" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    Sping Chicken, that's a great looking wood fired oven. I hope you get to build it someday and post pictures and plans. I'd love to have one just like it, Texas star and all!

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ha... you know there'll be a movie. I ain't about to let all that drama and #$%@ing go by without some video.

Then I can share it with those who are looking for a project.

Got to get in gear first though.

Spring "I'm Just This Far From Doing Nothing" Chicken
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    Molly, you're very observative. I saw the peels but never realized that they were in a trash can. The prep area for the pizzas is directly in front of the oven, so everything is handy. I didn't ask, but I'm sure they must have a fire pit close by and transfer the coals to the oven. If you look closely, you can see a huge pile of coals inside the oven on each side of the pizza stone. The pizza was great. My only criticism would be that some of the air pockets on the crust were over cooked. I guess you could expect that at 900 degrees though.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. How'd you like to have THAT in the backyard?
  • Hawg Fan
    Options
    Bacchus, I'd love to have a wood fired oven in my back yard. On a smaller scale of course. Something similar to Spring Chicken's conceptual picture. One that has a fire pit to transfer the coals to the oven. I wonder how those coals would work in the BGE? Has anyone ever transferred coals from a fire pit to their BGE rather that use lump?

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Now I want pizza!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Been cookin a lot of em myself lately....
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    two words.... WOO HOO! :woohoo:
    context is important :)