Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bad Smoke Smell

danv23danv23 Posts: 282
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

There's something burning off in my large egg that has wrecked a sirloin roast (3 Hrs at 350) and a deep dish pizza (45 min at 460). It makes the food taste awful to the point i had to throw the food out. I thought it all burned off after the roast. Not so. Please give any suggestions, and if it's a high burn please let me know what temp and how long. The egg has been cleaned (ash), the cooking grate, and the platesetter.

Please help! Going nuts!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA

Comments

• Load it up with lump and cook it 500-600 until you have no more lump left. Should be good enough to kill any thing left in the egg.

I need to ask how you are going about cooking your roast and pizza. Are you allowing enough time for the lump to burn clean before you put the food on? I would also recommend going to your lump supplier and picking up another bag, preferably from a different batch. It may just be a bad bag or two. Can you describe the smell, is it a chemical smell?
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 282
    I've thought about it and I think it is from cooking chicken wings (fat from it). It's not chemical, just bad. I did wait until there was no smoke (left it at 460 for 30 min before putting pizza on) and right after i put the pan in and closed the lid i could smell it. I've begun the burn you suggested.

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA