Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Review - Auber Instruments PID Temp Controller

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,047
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCN8627.jpg

I purchased the Auber Instruments temp controller for the Big Green Egg a month ago and used it for the first real time. (Messed around with it on beer can chicken) Decided to smoke (2) 7lb pork shoulders from Costco. After a good hour+ of reading and rereading the directions my girlfriend and I started to understand the functions of the controller. If you are looking for a plug and play within the first 10 minutes good luck! Pretty basic when you start to understand it. Here is the play by play:

10:15pm - Lite the egg and hooked up the PID controller. Set the target temp of 210 degrees. Fan to kick in at 209 degrees and shut off at 211 degrees

10:45pm - Pork shoulders on the egg with the PID reading 211 degress

11:00pm - 210 degress

12:00am - 210 degress

1:00am - 209 degress

2:00am - Time for bed. 211 degress

3:00am - Big Loud Thunder Storm. Wakes me up. 210 degress

3:45am - Time for bed. 210 degress

7:30am - Wake up 216 degress. Check pork shoulder temp

9:00am - 210 degress

10:15am - 211 degress. Check pork shoulder temp. Look over my shoulder and see a dog 10 feet away. Dogs usually run around leash free in the neighborhood. Well this dog I have never seen leave his front yard. Not to mention he lives 5 houses down the block. Always have been weary about him. What do I do? Do I slowly walk back into the house? Do I try to pet him? Well I decided to slap my thigh a couple times with the palm of my hand to see if would come. He walked over slowly and was weary of me as well. I could only guess why he made the trek down the neighborhood. The egg! Opened the egg back up and ripped off a chunk meat for him. Gave him a few pats on the back and off he went. Can't blame him I guess!

11:00am - Done! 209 degress

DSCN8721.jpg

I would say the temps were pretty consistent during the 12 hour cook period. The PID does what I wanted it to do and am happy with the results. Is it a Digi Q or a Stoker? No. But thats not what I expected it to be. If you are looking for a cheap (Under $100) temp controller and don't want to worry about the temp jumping all around when away from the egg this product should fit your needs. Might be a great fit with a remote meat thermometer. Overall I am happy with the purchase and would recommend it.
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Where did you get it ?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Options
    thanks for the info. Sounds like a great price for a temp controller.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thanks for the review. It sounds like it did a fine job of controlling the temp.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    V,

Looks like it works perfect. Although, I'd bump that temp closer to 250*, unless your probe was at grid (food) level 210 is a bit low. With a 250 dome you're actaully at 25+/- lower at the grid level.

So how was the Apple/Cherry? How was the butt?

Great meeting you. ;)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks again for the apple and cherry wood! How much would I use of the apple if I were to do a smoke. I didn't wan't to use too much or too little. The probe was connected to the grid. Should have kicked her up to 225-250 degrees. I have always done pork shoulders between 225-250 degress but was interested if the temp controller would keep the egg in order at lower temps. Maybe a little more dry then the typical 250 degree smoke. Trying to get a dark bark on these shoulders. Still no luck. Will have to do a little more research. Thanks again for everything!!!!

Minnesota
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'm in the process of doing a formal review, but it will be a while before I get it done. However, I'm surprised you thought it difficult to use. You should be able to use it out of the box with no adjustments to any of the parameters, etc. other than setting the target temp. I guess I'll find out later....

One other thing, I found their customer service to be exceptional. I sent a question and got an answer on a weekend.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The fan should be mounted so the open flat side is facing down. This allows the built in damper to close. I have to admit, they cut the hole in the adapter wrong (oriented vertically) which would lead one to think the fan should be mounted that way.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WeberWho? wrote:
    Trying to get a dark bark on these shoulders. Still no luck.

My bark always looks like this...

4405279718_b3b8b4e0a3_b.jpg

I cook at 250°, use 3-4 fist sized hickory chunks and the rub below (no mustard - mustard is for hot dogs). Not sure if the color comes from the hickory or the sugar in the rub (or both), but at 250°, I don't thing the sugar would have anything to do with it.

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

By the way, did you get my forum email? Been a few weeks. Spam folder maybe? Or maybe I am spam! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    Options
    It's not that bad for the basic temp setup but once you start to mess around with the parameters is gets pretty tricky. Should never have to change the parameters but nice to know what it's capable of doing. I don't think the blower makes too much of a difference on how you place it against the draft door. Temps were pretty consistent. It's great hear the customer service is exceptional. Thanks for the info!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks for the bark help. Will have to give that a try. Looks really good!

Minnesota
  • Ripnem
    Options
    V,

I use maybe 6 of the apple pieces and 2-3 of the cherry (simply cause the cherry pieces are typically larger, spread throughout the lump. I bounce between ButtRub and Dizzy Dust for rub and have also abandoned the mustard.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Went with the Butt Rub and Dizzy Dust combo but pasted the butt with Mustard. Maybe thats my problem.

Going to add your apple and cherry wood on chicken I'm thinking. Grandma is not the biggest fan of the chicken they serve at her apartment. So I'm going to toss some chicken in the egg this weekend. Should be some good stuff! Thanks A

Minnesota
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Go easy. Poultry takes on smoke VERY well and can be too much for some people. but the cherry will give it some great color