Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this edible

jemrxjemrx Posts: 81
edited 2:37AM in EggHead Forum
I found 4 of these mushrooms by my wood pile
CIMG2469.jpg
CIMG2474.jpg
·

Comments

  • LDDLDD Posts: 1,225
    wow! :woohoo:
    context is important :)
    ·
  • i had 4 of those in my backyard also.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

    ·
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_puffball

    unless you are a trained mushroom hunter do not eat it .. no matter how sure you think you are.
    there is no antidote if you are wrong and it is a horrible death..

    that said it looks like the above referenced.

    please don't eat it
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,569
    Its a giant puffball. I've had 2 this season.

    There is a noxious mushroom that looks like it when they are both small. Small ones cut in half that are poisonous have an internal structure that shows the spreading cap they will eventually have. Puffballs do not.

    Any mushroom that you try for the first time should first be tasted in small quantities. Some people have bad reactions to morels, for instance.

    Cut off any bug-bite marks, peel the thin outer skin. Fry in butter, which they soak up like a sponge. I also understand they can be breaded and fried.
    ·
  • jetmechjetmech Posts: 75
    I've had them breaded and fried numerous times, mostly they are tasteless and not worth the effort, at least IMO. If you slice it, the inside should be very white, if it's not, it's on it's way to being too old. Generally for fall mushrooms I stick with the Hen of the Woods (aka sheephead) and buttons.
    ·
  • Tank_NZTank_NZ Posts: 53
    Whilst its great doing the 'hunting / gathering' thing - unless you know 100% what mushroom it is - the downsides really are not worth it.

    We have people die every year from eating the wrong mushroom.

    Personally - Ill grow my own from known stock - or buy 'em.

    Good luck !
    ·
  •  
    WOW, that is HUGE! Looks like there is no mistaking it for anything but a Giant Puffball, I would give it a try. If it taste good you have hit the mother load, if tastless or just so so I wouldn't bother with it. God luck, that's an interesting find.


     
    ·
  • MargieMargie Posts: 52
    We have those in Illinois and call them puff balls, they are edible but to many may cause a fast run to the bathroom so be cautious. They are ok but nothing to write home about
    Margie
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.