Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done my first spatchcock turkey and it was really good.

Here is the bird prepped ... used a citrus rub made locally:

Birdprepped.jpg

Here is the bird on the grill:

Birdcooking.jpg

On the other egg, I did up some squash and mashed potatoes. Here is the squash prepped -- used some Dizzy Pig Pineapplehead rub along with some maple syrup:

Squashprepped.jpg

Here is the squash and spuds on the grill:

Squashandspudscooking.jpg

This morning is made up some turkey noodle soup :woohoo: -- comfort food at its best!

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tom,

Don't know if it's my computer but I can't see the pics

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice lookin' cook, Tom. For pics, first, copy the image address from Picasa. Then, in your post, click the green Img button above the text box, paste the address, then click Img again. No spaces. Should look similar to this...

img size=150]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Sqto31K1VJk/TLsrx2MqRLI/AAAAAAAAABc/e51t5wLcWUE/Bird cooking.jpg[/img

EDIT - Forgot to mention, click Preview before submitting. If you can't see them in Preview, they won't show up in your post either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Neither can I :(
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Steve not your computer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sounds good but the pictures look like a polar bear in a snow storm.

:)

GG
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Steve,

I tried using Google's Picasso and I have not figured out exactly how to get the pictures to show up :angry:.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Michael,

That is what I thought I was doing. I will try again

Tom

Tom

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nada here... :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Molly

I am still trying to figure out how to get pictures from Google's Picasa to show up on the forum.

Tom

Tom

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I see what went wrong. You used this address (which is not the image address)...

http ://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PNHTM3O9Cdr9VeU5H_u4DIS_LU1MS2-ozrxBR0phzhk?feat=directlink

THIS is the image address...

http ://lh3.ggpht.com/_Sqto31K1VJk/TLtk2BKD3YI/AAAAAAAAACU/-3zAzBJxons/Bird%20prepped.jpg

If you go to the first addy, right click on the pic and copy the image addy, when you paste it into the post, it'll work. Here ya go...

Bird%20prepped.jpg

Bird%20cooking.jpg

Squash%20prepped.jpg

Squash%20and%20spuds%20cooking.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Molly,

Try now ... gave up on Picasa for the moment and used photobucket instead.

Tom

Tom

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Oh sure - after I figured it out and posted your pics, YOU posted your pics! hahahaha.

I use Flickr! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Michael,

Thanks for the info. You did indeed figure out the problem. I just figured that the right hand box noted a link to the photo and this must be the link to use. However, I started scratching my head when I did not see "jpg" in the address. I edited my post and linked to the pictures on photobucket. Your sage advice means I can use picasa here on in :).

Thanks again

Tom

Tom

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Pretty good looking bird Tom!! I did my squash yesterday with the exact same seasonings.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Very nice looking cook and meal...
    I'm going to have to try that. Did it take less time?
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    It took about 90 minutes for the 12 pound bird to cook -- 400* raised direct setup.

Tom

Tom

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sooo...A bit faster. And I would assume, with that, a nice moist bird too.
    Thanks for the info Tom.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Good looking gobbler Tom. I noticed legs are not flat as in typical spatchcock, did you raise them to save real estate?
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Gary,

It was just the way the bird hit the grill. Cooked up nice.

Tom

Tom

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Everything looks great, the turkey, potatoes, and the squash! :) That's a quick cook.