Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fidel's Apple Glazed Chops

Options
RogerT
RogerT Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning all,

Tried my hand last night at making Fidel's Apple Glazed Chops. I also used Hoss's brine recipe on them, soaking them for about 3 hours.

4c Water
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
1/4 cup of Kosher Salt

Fidel's instructions can be found here:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=981931&catid=1

No raws picture, but here is the plated pic.

DSC_6391.jpg

Grilled off some asparagus spears with EVOO and S&P while the chops were cooking and made up some Kraft dinner. Really great eats here. I will surely do this again, but will likely cut down on the amount of spices in the glaze by half. It left an aftertaste in my mouth for a few hours afterwards.

After the chops came off, got the temps headed back down to 250* and got the next victims ready to go onto the grate.

DSC_6387-1.jpg

All rubbed up with DP

DSC_6388.jpg

26lbs of butts. On the grill at 7pm. As I am typing this my Maverick is beeping for a 190 temp on the smallest of the 3. I will post more on this in a new thread as I get them off and prepare them for dinner this afternoon.

Hope you all have a great day, and cook some great food.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your posts and willingness to help out us new people. Without you, this would be a difficult endeavor.

Roger

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Roger, Great looking plate of food!! I should try that recipe. Would you do them again that way?
    Hope your butt cook is cruizin fine. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm curious about the spices comment. I found it a touch on the bland side, needing a little more in the spice department. I thought it needed some good heat in the finish.
  • RogerT
    RogerT Posts: 53
    Options
    Fidel,

I have no problem with heat in food, but the wife on the other hand thinks that medium taco sauce is a bit on the hot side. :angry:

Anyways, on the spices, I just cant put my finger on it, but the taste was not objectionable, but rather that something was to much. I just figured if I halved the dry spices, I may be able to get rid of the aftertaste I mentioned. I bet a little piece of Habenero, cooked into the glaze then pureed would give it some bite.

I really like Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habenero sauce, sweet, but with the kick that keeps on giving. ;)

I will most definitely try this again, but with the spice mods. This was the first time I had made chops on the egg, first time brining chops, and first time cooking to temp on chops. They were really good and moist. Smoked with apple chips and cherry chunks. Cooked at 350 just like you called for. Easy as falling off a log.

Roger