Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What is a Hoe Pan?

Comments

• It's used to cook hoe cakes, of course..... ;)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Correct, that is exactly what it is. :P A CI skillet works just as well ;):lol:
  •  
    Gregg and Frank are right. Read HERE. :lol:

Blair

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    interesting, learn something new everyday! :)
  • My grandmother made 'em every now and then. My grandfather grew the corn and let it dry still in the husk and on the cob. Corn lasts a long time this way.

They raised free range chickens and fed 'em 'chops' which was nothing more than hard corn ground up using their hand-cranked grinder. The larger pieces (chops) would be fed to the chickens. The rest would be sifted down to corn meal size and saved until there was enough to make some hoe cakes.

Grandmother would just let the meal soak on the wood stove (always hot) until the mush was thick. Then she would take a handful, ball it up, mash it slightly flat and place it in a hot skillet with plenty of bacon grease.

Us 'men folk' would take some wrapped up in a cloth wherever we were going and they would be quite tasty all day. However, we might have to stop at a pond or creek to get a drink of water. They were pretty salty.

If we were camping, like we sometimes did while searching for our free-range cattle, we would build a fire and set the hoe cakes on a hot stone. Really good eat'n by then.

Come morning, if we still had some left we would have 'em for breakfast. Nothing quite like a hot hoe cake on a chilly morning in the woods.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

As a matter of fact, my cornbread omelet starts out with a variation of a hoe cake.

Spring "Hoe Cakes Was Here Long Before Columbus" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Of course it is not the same, but I like to mix some regular cornbread batter and just fry it in a hot CI, pretty good with a slab of fried ham :ohmy: :)