Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have Large Egg, would like a second, suggestions?

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my large BGE for about 3 years. I also own a Ducan gas grill that I thought I would continue to use but haven't used once since getting the BGE. I am curious if I get a second egg should it be a small? medium? I have 4 children, two going off to college next year but would like to cook more for entertaining. By the way the gas grill is leaving my deck permanetly! Also I have looked at the pictures of carts on the forum but would be interested in designs incorporating two eggs (one large, one small or medium).
Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    kilo,[p]My wife and I spoke ad nauseum about this to many MANY eggers at the Atlanta egg-fest and got the following response: [p]The small (as a second to the large) will make your life complete.[p]That's not to say that getting one of each size or two larges or two mediums or any other variant won't work either. We were just told that, since there are three of us, the small would do a lot for us and free us up to do other stuff while the large was occupado with butts or some other such lo and slo cooking item.[p]Hope this helps. [p](for the record, I am still torn between the small and a medium as our second...)
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    kilo,[p]If I took my gas grill off the deck, I'd have to find some other place to store the platesetter and pizza stone. It also comes in handy to stash the used foil from a rib cook. What else...oh yeah. I use the metal bucket, once used for catching the gas grill grease drippings, to rake the ashes into. Just trying to point out that gas grills are still a useful piece of BBQ equipment.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Thanks for your feedback. I feel torn between a medium or a small as my second. Many times I would like to do potatos, veggies or even a second type of meat while I am cooking on my large.[p]Thanks!

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    kilo,[p]This quandry has been aired numerous times on the Forum, with the vast majority of opinions favoring the small. IMHO, get the small. I use my small over sixty per cent of the time - for side dishes when entertaining and for dinners for two when the kids are not here. You'll use a lot less lump in the small, but get the same great results you get with your large.[p]Paul

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    kilo,[p] I too have 4 children, none going to college soon, and the small I got at Eggtoberfest has been the perfect compliment to our large. I would say go with a small.[p]John
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    kilo,
    I started about three years ago with a Medium. Was very happy with that until just this year when I began to want more space, two eggs doing different things at different temps, etc. So I've now added the Large. The Large and Medium are a great combination and I still use the Medium the majority of the time. If I had started out with the Large, I would probably have gone with the majority here and gotten the Small. However, I can still do 3 racks of ribs on the Medium and a bunch of other stuff on the Large, so I like this combination. Whatever you do, it'll be a great combination!

• kilo, this has been a question posed by many before you and 90% of BGE users usually agree the "small" should be your 2nd egg. As for the table, I use to have visions of a nice wood table for my eggs but now I am trying to figure a way to fill in the hole the large is going to leave in my current table (see blueprint on BGE homepage) when I move it to it's new egg nest. A smaller hole will be put on the other end of the table for my new mini and a stainless steel top will make a nice top (about 60 bucks for a 4x8 sheet) and my brother has the bending machine to make it fit with all the rounded edges. The small and large will sit at each end of the table in their nest. I do have another rubber cart on wheels that I can maneuver to make the whole set up easy to switch around as needed. This idea was hatched when I realized a permanent place for the eggs would be a WessB kinda outdoor kitchen made of rock or brick with built in eggs and appropriate appliances for outdoor cooking. Meanwhile the current plan will be versatile and still not be anything I will hate to part with if the dream outdoor kitchen ever materializes.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />kilo,[p]I may be in the minority here but I would get a 2nd large or as big as funds allow. I use all 4 of my Eggs and probably use the small almost as much as the others. That being said there are times that I wouldn't trade my 2nd large for the small or the mini. Multiple pizza and quesadillas cooks, or ribs on one while the butt and or briskets are going on the other or jerky taking up one (or both) are just a few examples of why I like the 2nd large. As I recall the photo has the two larges doing a brisket and 5 butts for a party and the small waiting for lunch time. [p]So I guess the simple answer (unless you need one for traveling) IMO is the same answer you get when buying your first "get as big as you can afford".[p]Whatever you buy it will be a great cooker.[p]Have a great day.[p]Chuck

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chuck,
    i second your commotion. . .while i was happy with my large and small, now that i have a second large, i'm really happy. ..thanksgiving day, with a 21 pound turkey in one large for 7 hours and a 12 pound ham in the other large for 5 hours. ..nothing could be better

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Chuck,
    I just recently bought a second large and am pleased as punch with the purchase. Having a second egg to cook sides on or breakfast/lunch on while doing a low & slow on the other makes meals a lot easier to prepare.
    Thanks,
    bruce