Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sassafrass, The Other Smoking Wood (?)

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not being able to abide one more bite of turkey, I went to the store today and came home with two, 1.7 lb. flank steaks. I then realized I am out of hickory, and have only enough pecan left for a 9 lb. pork butt I'm doing Sunday for the Packers debackle on Monday night. Oh, oh whoe, what to do? Lo, and behold, I spied a bag of sassafrass in the garage that I have never had the nerve to try...long story short...with my options limited, I tried the sassafrass. I smoked the flank steaks a couple of hours at 210-ish. They didn't feel quite done enough, so I threw caution to the wind and opened dampers half-way for another 30 minutes (350 when I pulled the steaks). [p]The steaks were a beautiful medium-rare. But, whoowee, that sassafrass does got a bite! Cut thinly across grain, made very tender and wonderful sandwiches...my 7th grade daughter is getting to be an egg junkie and loved it. I was taken aback abit (I like that.. aback abit)by the strong flavor when sneaking "chef's samples" for myself while slicing, but then, really liked the sandwich I had later...but still, there was major, rich pungency in the smoke flavor. My wife first gave kudos but later recanted with "too much smoke flavor." I'm here to tell you it is rich![p]Based on tonights results, sassafrass is something not to be trifled with. Try it at home at your own risk! I previously had read some literature claiming this wood to be bitter and "undesirable" for BBQ. But why was I able to buy it in a BBQ grill store??? I'm not quite all the way in the camp of no-use for BBQ use, but I need to think hard about what food I would pair this wood with in the future. But you know what? This is a refreshingly new challenge in my part-time world of cullinary excitement.[p]Nature Boy posted something a few months ago about getting ready to try sassafrass at one time, but I don't remember hearing what finally happened with that or what he thought of it...anybody hear if he went ahead with his plans?

Comments