Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

are you sure about 180 in the thigh?

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i posted below about the turkey sitter, and still trying to figure that one out. but now i've got another question. if the dark meat is cooked to 160 -165 and the breast meat is also running the same temp. is the dark meat finished and safe to eat? how many people actually checked both the breast and the thigh? I know that this is the first time i ever checked both and i don't recall ever seein anyone ever check both it's always one or the other and its usually the breast meat.[p]Scott

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    sorry about kind of double posting, thought that i was previewing and my first post was kind of long and confusing.[p]Scott

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    eggor,[p]I often check both places, and usually when the breast is at 165°, the dark is right where it should be at 180°. I don't ever use a turkey sitter, but use the traditional method of the bird in a v-rack over a drip pan and indirect setup.[p]I also check with chickens, but again, don't use a sitter. I usually spatchcock them. Never really had a problem with one reaching temp before the other.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• tmEGGer
    Options
    QBabe,
    What is a turkey sitter? [p]Thanks,
    NutmEGGer

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    NutmEGGer,[p]You know how high strung race horses need companions? Well when turkeys get smoked, some of them get a little nervous and they a companion - or sitter - to settle them down. Usually cornish hens play this role, but I've seen sausages and even hot dogs do it.[p]Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. A turkey sitter is the turkey-sized version of a chicken sitter for cooking a turkey or chicken upright. You've seen these things by other names. Beercan chicken, beer in the rear chicken. I think Mickey T has a picture of a small-sized turkey sitting proudly on a turkey sitter - without a cornish hen companion.
  • tmEGGer
    Options
    aka Mr. Earl ,
    Got it. Now I know what it is and I have one. I had known it as a vertical roaster. I did not use it for Thanksgiving, since my 23#er would not fit with it.[p]Thanks.