Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey: breast side up or down?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First year cooking the turkey on the bge and my first post. What a day! Anyway, can anyone tell me if the breast should be up or down in the v rack?

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    SashaV,[p]Up, up and away. Cooking it down is going to dry them out fast and you don't want that.[p]mShark
  • SashaV,
    I always do mine down. The juices from the top drop into the cavity and then into the breast. Very moist. I do mine over a platesetter and drip pan @ 350.

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    SashaV,[p]I remember last year there was a big discussion on this. Some folks swear by the breast down, others breast up.[p]If you do it breast down be sure to have a good heat barrier under your pan as not to overcook the breast and dry it out.[p]We just stick to breast up, baste periodically. Always turns out fine.[p]Boccie
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    SashaV,
    I was just reading in a cookbook that James Beard's method was to start with the turkey breast down, then ¼ of the way through the planned cooking time, turn the bird onto one side, then at the half-way point turn the bird onto its other side, then ¾ of the way through turn it breast up and finish the cook off that way. [p]Sounds reasonable, although I read this too late to put it into practice for today. Maybe next turkey. And I'm thinking that for digital thermometer users and/or Guru users, wire management could get to be a problem... [p]Bob