Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bird Prep: Oil, Butter, Nothing?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always coated my Thanksgiving turkey with olive-oil and various spices before smoking over apple wood on my large BGE.[p]I'm curious regarding what the egg-community thinks. Do you coat your birds with butter, oil, or leave them dry? Any advantages/disadvantages to your approach? [p]I wish all of you in the Egg community a happy, safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving![p]Tarheel Tom[p][p]

Comments

• Timahh
    Options
    Tarheel Tom,[p]I'm wondering the same thing myself. This will be my first turkey on my large BGE. I'm gonna go low and slow at 250. It's a 11.5 pounder, and I was thinking of some olive oil, honey, and some other seasoning, but not sure what. I'm open to any suggenstions too.[p]Good luck with yours, and everyone have a hearty, safe Thanksgiving !!
  • michael
    Options
    Timahh,[p]I have had pretty good luck melting butter and rubbing over turkey and then using greek seasoning as a rub.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Tarheel Tom,
    I like to coat well with evoo, then rub melted butter all over and each hour mist with apple juice and give a good coating of butter till done. I have had good luck so far with a good skin when all is done. I put a apple, orange, lemon, and onion in the cavity as well. I go inderect over a inverted plate setter with a drip pan with some type of liquid in it, today it's applejuice. Cook 350F with a little apple wood in at the start of the cook! Happy Thanksgiving! Jon