Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Beer Butt Chicken

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing two beer butt chickens tomorrow at the same time and was reading the recipes on this site for suggestions. Some say it will take 45 min., some say two hours? I thought that it would take as long as a Spatchcock chicken, one hour. Kinda confussed? What temp and time are most cooking their beer butt chicken? Direct, or indirect?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbchicken.jpg
    <p />ShortRib,[p]350 direct. Can't tell what time it will be done because I don't know size of birds.[p]Good luck,[p]CWM
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    ShortRib,
    i do beer butts all the time, i set them on the grid over inverted plate setter at 325 - 350 degrees. .. i usually buy chickens that weigh right around 4 pounds each. . .i usually do 4 at a time, and they always take right on 1 1/2 hours to be done. . .hope that helps

• terrafirmay
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Do you get crisp skin with your beer can chicken? Do you get crisp skin without the beer can's added moisture? Do you oil the skin? Please tell me what you do. I get moist, flavorful birds but I never get crisp skin. I've tried direct cooking on vertical stands at 350, 400, and 450 degrees without luck.[p]Thanks.[p]P.S. Why are we talking about chicken six days before Thanksgiving?[p]****

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    terrafirmay,
    i get fantastic, moist, delicious meat. ..but to be honest, i have not mastered the crisp skin part of the deal. ..with four cans of beer steaming away, its tough. ..i do brush the birds with oil, and coat generously with dizzy pig tsunami spin (which, in my wife's opinion, makes the best chicken salad in the world the next day). . .sometimes, with about 15 minute to go, i'll open the vents wide open to try to crisp things up, and i typically set the birds in the egg with the breasts facing out wards, to catch some of the direct heat coming up the sides of the egg. . ..