Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Shortage in East PA?

Options
Smokin' Stogies
Smokin' Stogies Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I was looking for alternatives to the BGE Lump at $23.95 for a 20#. I had spied the RoyalOak at Wally World here 25 miles west of Phila. and went to go score some. Much to my dismay, what had been 2+ pallets a few days before was now 6 bags, crushed and ripped at that. I asked the clerk (a teen who was more interested in texting) where was all the charcoal I had seen just a few days ago. His reply was Oh, Halloween costumes and Christmas decorations need the space, we sent the pallets back to the warehouse, grillin' seasons over anyway. I guess I was somehow misinformed as I thought I was allowed to grill after labor day but Wally World has decided that the season for the outdoors has officially ended. This was confirmed as I proceeded to hit 5 hardware stores and even K-M to find 1 or 2 taped/torn bags of Blah Blah this and that, all from outside our borders. Apparently they got the memo from Wally World that I was not allowed to BBQ/Smoke. Until
I stopped in a little out of the way Ace Hardware in West Chester that had 10-20# bags of USA Frontier that TNW has as recommended. When I told them that they did not get the memo, they said screw WM, they stock it all year round and they had three pallets out back. What was best is I got each bag for $11.97. Now that does make up for what was starting to become a real pain.

So my question, are others finding it hard to find lump?

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have heard of some folks havin trouble findin lump in the so called "Off season" I buy direct from Ozark Oak 2 pallets at a time.Best to stock up in summertime if you have a nice dry place to store it. ;)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Is there a Restaurant Depot near you? Mine, in Pittsburgh carries 17# bags of Royal Oak USA all year. Lots cheaper per unit than Wally's 10# bags. You must be a member to shop Restaurant Depot. Just show them a business card. Any business. You plan events or buy for parties? You're in.
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Patty O,

I will have to look online, if so, I will check there as well. I like to have a few sources of supply. Just was kind of amazed at how the "light" turn off so quick just because it's after Labor Day. I will let you know if I find one. Are you anywhere near Uniontown? My Mom grew up in a small town just south of there, nice country!

Cheers,

John

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Found 1 in the Manayunk section of Philadelphia, about 10 minutes from work. I will check it out an thanks for the heads up!

Eggers Prayer-

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Smokin Stogie, you can make a run up to Fred's in Shillington, PA. You can depend on him to have a variety of lump all times of the year. However, be forewarned that Fred has many other egging accessories waiting to tempt you. As Hoss suggested, if you find a good source at a good price, stock up if you have the dry storage space for it.

Uglydog
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I think a trip to Fred's is in the near future. Between him and the Ace Hardware, I should be fairly good. I have 240lbs stored right now and our HOA just gave me approval to build a 10 x 18 shed so I will have plenty of room to store more, plus the eggcessories I pick up at Fred's. Maybe even a mini to go with the XL and Med.

Eggers Prayer-

• 70chevelle
    Options
    The only lump available in my local area is Cowboy from Lowes. Walmart had some Royal Oak hidden early in the season, but it went pretty quick. When I bought my egg at Fred's, I got a bag of Humphreys lump, which I liked. I found that it is about 2 hours north of me in Brookville, PA. They've been running a sale since early summer, and even with shipping it's cheaper than buying Cowboy, and the Humphrey's burns forever.
    http://charcoalbq.com/index.php
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    if there is a wegmans near you check there .. there lump is priced right .. american hardwood nice sized.. good stuff. .. my wegmans had it all year long ... zippy's did not stock during the winter
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Thanks, I will pick some up as well as check my Wegman's. I am fortunate to have two close by. BTW, love your nickname. I unfortunately sold by 70 Malibu Coupe because I couldn't afford the gas (college days). I miss that car today and I sold it 25 years ago.ake me cry every time I see one on Mecum. Do you have one still?

Eggers Prayer-

• 70chevelle
    Options
    I've had it for 16 years and it took me 8 years to finish. I don't haul lump in it! B)

DSCN0156-2.jpg
  • No Trash
    Options
    I had the same problem with Royal Oak at our local Walmart. I ask the store manager to mark down the busted bags and she did. $3.00 per bag and she helped me tape them up and did not charge me for 1 bag that we had to put in a trash bag. Went to another Walmart today and picked up an set of 6 bags at regular price. :whistle:

I have used the Cowboy brand at Ace Hardware and Lowes and it was fine for me but an am not a lump snob.. B)
  • No Trash
    Options
    I just hauled 6 bags of Royal Oak in the trunk of my Inifiniti surely a cherry SS should carry a bag or two :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: