Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusting CI grid

Options
shortfire
shortfire Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any tips for keeping your cast iron grid from rusting? I've tired leaving it in the egg and keeping it out of the weather. Keeping it inside has worked but the wife is tired of it sitting on the kitten floor and from time to time I forget to go get it after it cools down any other ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I hate to say it but cook on it. Cook some burgers..something with a little grease in it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I wish my wife would let me have a floor made out of kittens. Imagine how soft it would be on the feet!

Kidding aside, I gave up on mine and don't use it any more. It would rust no matter what I would try to do. I decided the benefits for me were simply visual and I can get good enough grid marks for me and the wife using a regular grid.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spray both sides with cooking oil (Pam) and toss back on Egg after you shut it down.
    But I'm in agreement with Fidel. I very seldom use.
    I spray and put in a large zip-loc.
    I only have cast iron for my small and mini so storage is easy.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    All of the above, cook on it, store it in the egg, spray it with pam grill spray.
    Even if I am doing something like a Butt and not using the CI, I will put it back in the egg while everything is still warm and greasy :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mine stays in the egg, i heat it up, brush it down and cook on it. i dont clean it after cooking, it gets scraped right before cooking when its reheated. as for the rust i dont worry about it, its a light rust, if the food is light , fish, chicken, i might wipe off the grid wiht oil in a paper towel to remove any that might discolor the fish or poultry, steaks go right on the grill, i dont think the extra iron will kill me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Guess I'm just lucky. Mine is a year old and has never rusted. Never do more than knock off the big chunks from the last cook- have never oiled it. Half the time, I set it on a couple of bricks on the patio and forget to put it back in the egg. It's quite black. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yea, I forgot, fishlessman is right, don't clean it!
    Scraping and brushing just exposes the Iron to the air,
    FE + 02= RUST :ohmy:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I did not realize they were such a pain! For a while that was on my "next to purchase" list. But yesterday I found a combination cast iron skillet/dutch oven thing at the Bass Pro HQ. I will get that maybe next week but right now I am about to leave to pick up a pizza stone! :woohoo:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Go with Fidel and Darian on this. Mine is very rusty and I scrape off the bigger stuff and don't worry on the small.
    Will not replace when I get tired of looking at it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Well I'm the fish swimming upstream here as I love my cast iron in my small and never remove it - I even pitched my original rusted BGE grate! Since I do use it a lot I have no rust problem, nor do I spray it. It has developed a patina over the years that must be rock solid. The only cleaning I do is scrape off any crud. In my case I say VIVA CAST IRON!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Grease it up!!!! Cook on it!!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Then we swim together, Ron. Love mine, glad I bought it and don't find it to be a "pain" at all. The only thing I like better about the stock model is its weight. Thinking about a spider and small CI for searing too.

By the way, this makes an excellent grid lifter, CI or stock. Strong enough to lift a large CI grid with a 9 lb butt too! :)

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I am a fan as well, I have it on my small and my bubba keg. My 1+ yr old porcelain grid is now starting to chip on my large. I ordered a spare bubba keg ci grid for my large last week as a replacement so I know either will work in both cookers. I love the ci grids. They are durable, retain heat well, and give great grill marks.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I love my cruddy ci grid. Before using I simply wipe with a paper towel and heat it up nice and hot.

Kitten floors are the rave but it's cheeper to get two kittens and make slippers out of them. :whistle:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    2Fategghead wrote:
    Kitten floors are the rave but it's cheeper to get two kittens and make slippers out of them. :whistle:

Dude, u r one sick puppy!! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Reverend BSB
    Options
    Add me to the list loving my cast iron. I use it all the time, I turned my stock grid into a second grid with some ss bolts.

Baton Rouge is a cast iron town as well. At the store I work at we cant keep the large cast iron grids in stock. We got 12 on our last order and sold them in less than two weeks.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    I love my small CI. I have it for my large BGE and put it on my spider. Great combo.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Add me to the list of Pro Cast Iron. I bought mine over a year ago and have have used it exclusively ever since. I seasoned it with oil when I first got it because "they" said I was supposed to but I wouldn't do it again, no need. I cook everything on it from butts to steaks and any little specks of rust don't last long. The only way I clean it is heating it up for the next cook and brush off any big chunks of carbon that seem to be in the way.