Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIB REPORT:2-Grid setup, 2 Different Ways @ 1 Time

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbies might be interested in how to cook at least four slabs of ribs at once on a Large Egg. This is NOT a picture of gorgeous finished ribs, but the mess to be cleaned up the next day. In addition to cooking double the usual amount of ribs, I had eaters who wanted both kinds of ribs: falling off the bone AND having a little pull to the bite. Wouldn't have happened without my vintage GURU.

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

This is the first time I used the Ceramic Grill Store's oval grid and sliding base in their adjustable rig. I used apple and cherry wood for smoke, and once the lump was lit and smoking, I put in this setup, starting at the bottom:

Spider on top of fire ring, 12" BGE pizza stone on spider, round drip pan lined in foil on stone and filled with apple juice.

The adjustable rig sat on the fire ring, the sliding oval grid assembly was at the bottom of the rig, above the felt line, and the grid extender with a 16.5" grid on it at the top (has to be smaller because it's high in the dome).

Two methods in one rib cook: Carwash Mike's on top (spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar), 3-1-1 with foiling on the bottom sliding grid. It worked!

Both kinds of ribs were incredibly perfect and when we started eating the only sounds were "Uh, uh uh!" and "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." The ribs couldn't have been more succulent. They were from Costco, really meaty, and the membrane is already removed from their packaged ribs.

However, two strange results that never happened with single-grid cooking: First, when the ribs were done, only a few ribs were showing on the outer edges; no ribs ends showed in the middle 2/3 of the slabs.

Second, the dome temp was at 225° or even lower all the time that the GURU temp was set at 225° and 250°, until close to the end when I raised it to 300°. The Tel-Tru thermometer was NOT stuck in the meat and is right on temperature.

Scientific Egg geniuses and tinkerers, please explain.

Judy in San Diego
Judy in San Diego

Comments