Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done guest not here yet now what?

Options
Sixfromtexas
Sixfromtexas Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some tips on what to do next. :blink:
Brisket is done and wrapped in foil with a towel and placed in a cooler for 2 -3 hours.
Our guest will be here in 2 to 3 more hours, what do I do with the brisket to keep it warm?

Thanks

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Don't open cooler and you will be fine.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• EggSimon
    Options
    Sixfromtexas wrote:
    Need some tips on what to do next. :blink:
    Brisket is done and wrapped in foil with a towel and placed in a cooler for 2 -3 hours.
    Our guest will be here in 2 to 3 more hours, what do I do with the brisket to keep it warm?

Thanks

it will be stay 5-6 hours warm in your cooler. Don´t worry. Just don´t open it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It will stay hot a LONG time in that cooler.If you are concerned,keep it wrapped in foil and put in a 170-180 degree oven til you are ready to serve it.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I agree with the others. The last brisket I did I wrapped in a towel and put in an ice chest for three hours. When I pulled it out it was too hot to handle or cut. I had to let it rest on the counter to let it cool some more. My guess is it could have stayed in the cooler at least 5-6 hours.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Sixfromtexas
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. It was in the cooler for almost 6 hours and when I checked the temp it read 134.

Turn out great.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    If it goes into a tight cooler at say 190-195 you should only lose 2 degrees an hour. Not sure how you lost that heat, but I would look to improve your method to insure you keep meat above 140 next time.

How'd it taste?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Frobozz
    Options
    Yeah -- it's important to keep it above 140 because once you drop below that temp, your brisket becomes a lovely hatching medium for food poisoning bacteria.