Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt for Lechon Asado?

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have folks done the marinade thing with Butts? I see it is used primarily for loins (not a big fan) and tenderloins (HUGE fan).

It is a Mojo marinade (orange, lime, garlic, etc) that I want to use overnight, and then an 6 to 8 hour cook of the butt for pulling (thinking in the 275 range). Really interested in the citrus and garlic flavors more than the smoke.

Also, planning on making slits in butt and inserting mix of garlic and scallion.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! This is a recipe I have wanted to try for some time, and the cooler weather has me ready to experiment!!!

Happy holiday to all.

Dave in Keller, Texas

Comments

• BBQster1
    Options
    You have to have this sauce - it would be good on a rock!

Mojo De Ajo (garlic sauce)
    6 garlic cloves
    ½ cup olive oil
    1 cup sour orange or lime juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon hot sauce

In a mortar, crush the garlic to form a paste. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the sour orange juice (or leftover unused marinade) to measure a cup to the mortar and mix well with the garlic. Add the salt and hot sauce. Mix well and add to the oil in the skillet. Lower heat and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand 15 minutes, then strain, pressing the juice through a sieve. Pour into sauceboat and serve with lechon.
    P.S. Be daring and don’t strain the sauce!
    From Clarita’s Cocina