Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody Just Bought The Deckle?

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy Friday. I was thinking the other night about how much I love my burnt ends and I have seen many a pit masters actually separate the point from the flat BEFORE cooking and just make burnt ends from the point. I smoke them together and then separate the point from the flat for burnt ends after the meat is done.

So I am now wondering if any places sell just the point/deckle. All the groceries around my house just sell the flats. They have to special order packer cuts for me when I need them. The flats they get are all cut and trimmed prior to getting to them so they are not trimming and cutting at the actual store. Where the heck did that point go then? Do they throw it out? Where can you buy just the point?

It's got to be a cheap cut of meat but it is my favorite part of the brisket.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Good luck. You might find a butcher that will save you a few points. Most often they are just tossed into the ground meat pile.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the butchers near me corn there own corned beef, i dont think it would be a big deal to ask that they save some from the next batch. they probably dont do that in other parts of the country like they do here though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I have two butchers within ten minutes of my house that will sell a whole packer, just the flat, or just the point. I don't know if I am lucky or if it is common. Anyways good luck on finding a source!