Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caputo "00"

Options
triehle98
triehle98 Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you all think about the Caputo "00" flour?
I have looked online at different recipes for pizza dough and a lot of them list this as the go to flour.

In my quest to find Caputo "00" I didnt find any locally. Luckily my Publix service desk told me that they could order dang near any food item I wanted . Sure enough they had me 4 bags of Caputo in three days . I think next time I go in there Ill suggest some La Bomba and see what happens.

Anyways ... Do any of you that use Caputo "00" for pizza dough use a digital scale? is it necessary ?

Thanks
(sorry for all the questions in one post)
Triehle98

Comments

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I use a digital scale for all my yeast baking--it's easier to get good results when you weigh, rather than go by volume. Flour packs differently depending on how it is scooped and/or stirred. That said, all the weighing in the world won't eliminate the need to adjust for the ambient humidity of the flour: in wet climates (like mine) with room-temp flour, I can generally use a bit less liquid than a recipe specifies. On the other hand, I store most of my flours in the fridge or freezer. The cold storage dehydrates the flours, so I might need a tad more liquid. Good recipes will describe the desired texture of the dough so you know how it should look or feel.

I posted on this topic earlier, but I found several cookie recipes in Gina de Palma's "Dolce Italiano" cookbook requiring 00 flour, in case you want to try using it for something other than pizza.
  • triehle98
    Options
    I wish the search function worked like it should , i read a few days ago that someone used this flour for pizza and pasta
  • Davecooksslow
    Options
    I've started weighing the flour, etc and I'm getting better results.
    Dave in Plumas County
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Weighing in baking is essential! It's the only way to get consistent results. 1 cup of packed flour weighs more that 1 cup of sifted flour. 1 Tbs of kosher salt will weigh less that 1 Tbs iodized salt. Weighing your ingredients will make it so that it is the same everytime. Also it is best to weigh using the metric system(grams). It's more accurate.
  • Patty'O
    Options
    That was me. I saw on TV it was used only with egg yolk for pasta. I'd add a little salt to this. Send your email address to podammit@comcast.net and I'll forward the pizza crust recipe.
    PattyO
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    They still haven't fixed your handle/log-in?
  • Patty'O
    Options
    I got a note from WMK, the moderator. They are having trouble with comcast users. At least they know the problem. Now to fix it. I hate web mail but this forum won't allow more than one user at the same address. .
    PattyO
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have used about 10 pounds of Caputo and it is definitely good, but I am not sure it is worth the effort versus all-purpose flour.

The Caputo has a little lower gluten than all-purpose and many of the restaurants in Italy, reportedly mix all-purpose with Caputo.

Weighing the ingredients is definitely worth it.