Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in Turkey Breast - method?

Options
SoCalWJS
SoCalWJS Posts: 407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for suggestions on something I haven't done before. Neighbor is prepping a bone in Turkey breast for dinner. I get to cook it (let's face it - my BGE beats their inconsistant gasser w/bad thermometer), but I've never done just a breast before. Planning on direct for a crispier skin,

The details: About 8 lbs, skin on, gonna have a Hatch chili rub/paste under the skin.

Any guesstimates on time/temp anything special?

My initial plan is raised direct, 350, not much smoke, but I've got no good guess on time.

Any suggestions or alternatives?
South SLO County

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I'd guess 1.5 to 2 hours. I haven't done one in a while, but 15-20 minutes per pound comes out to 120 to 160 minutes. I've done mine indirect, skin up, but who knows.... Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why not spatchcock it and go direct high in the dome at 350/400 for about 1:15 to 1:30 are so. Will give you a good skin. You will not need to turn-over.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Sounds Great John, I can't wait for it!

Ross
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    At 350* raised direct, 2-3 hours should do it. I slowed cooked two breasts yesterday, one 7 and one 8 lbs. Wanted a good smoke flavor. Both breast were split and cooked at 250* raised direct above the gasket level with skin up. Took 5 hours. Had good flavor and was surprised at the good moisture level. We sliced them for sandwiches, skin texture wasn't a concern. Turned out well. Good luck with yours.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

My wife's first thought was spatchcocked (she likes spatchcock chicken ALOT), and after seeing some responses, that was how I was leaning, but......

Neighbor just brought it over. She has spent quite some time tieing/trussing this thing up. (It SMELLS heavenly)

Guess this'll have a probe in it, in a roasting pan on a trivet, indirect @ 350 til it's ready.

Thanks for the input everybody - gotta get the Egg up to temp quick for a reasonably early dinner (gotta get up at about 0400 for work :S )
    South SLO County