Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chuck roll

WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
edited 4:11PM in EggHead Forum
I saw a chuck roll at BJ's and decided to give it a try. It weighed in at a little over 20lbs. I separated the 2 muscles and ground up the chuck eye for burger, The remaining 12 lbs or so went on the XL. I seasoned it with some Montreal steak and some garlic pepper. I took it off at 180 and went to my buddies house and we braised it on his UDS until we could easily pull it. Very tasty!
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0015-3.jpg

My QC manager waiting patiently.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Dale, I have never seen chuck roll in a store before. Is it just a huge chuck roast?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 6 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 2 Smalls, 1 well-used Mini
  • Jai-BoJai-Bo Posts: 566
    Looks like a purty chunk of meat!!!! Great job! B)
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    I think they cut the roll into pieces for chuck roasts and steaks. Don't quote me but I think it's the beef equivalent of a butt on a pig. Big hunk of meat though!
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    It sure is a big hunk of meat. WOW! Tim
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    I've never cooked a chuck roll - it looks good. How will you serve it? Also, your helper rocks!
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I don't think I've ever seen those in stores. Maybe the butcher would have them. I bet it was great though.
    Thanks for sharing. Way cute dawg!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    I pulled it with a fork and served it on rolls with horseradish and Dubliner cheese. Delicious!
    Thanks Molly! I just got done grinding up the other half of the beast for burger. My helper is wonderful. :)
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    that dog sure is good looking!.... rr
    Nice cook. I really like the flavor of the chuck.
    John, I didn't look at them all but, nice pic's. Do you pay a lot compared to us dollars for meat there in thailand? Tim
  • I don't live in Thailand...thailandbbq here on the forum lives there in Pattaya, a town about a 2 hour drive from Bangkok

My wife and I spend alot of time in Thailand and we have been traveling there for the last 11 years spending 2 months there and then 2 months here, so we have spent half our time there.

But to answer your question, beef in Thailand is expensive for anything good. Good beef comes from America or Australia and the Thai people don't eat much beef

We only eat Thai food when in Thailand
    My bad. Nice talking to you and thanks for the info. I haven't been out of the country ever. I do watch Food network and Travel channel and see all the sites they have on there. Tim :)