Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey QFAN, how's the XL 0.1 working out?

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Mike, you have had a week or two to kick the tires on the XL propotype since the Jack, what's the report? I hear its a chicken and rib cooking monster! I can hardly wait until they start arriving on the store shelves so I can get started. You have a place setter for that thing? [p]Brett

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    The Virginian,
    Well, it's just now settled on the deck since Bryan went AWOL after the Jack; I think he had visions of a hernia helping me lift it onto the deck so he hasn't returned my calls! LOL I did get another friend to help me the other night, so I am off to the races now. I finished up a cottage roll on the XL last night and it worked fine, but it does take longer to get all that ceramic up to temp.
    The firebox-to-cooking grate depth is not nearly what we're used to, so that is going to take some adjustment, but I am definitely looking forward to using a small fire in that huge cooker and attempting some low temp smoking. I'm hoping that with cold weather, small fire and some ceramic mass (yes, it has a plate setter which is a monster!) I can do some true cold smoking with this unit. Will try to do many different things with it and keep everyone posted as to adjustments and results over what we are used to with the other sizes.
    Utilization of the dome space (or lack of same) on things like turkeys and multiple butts for example, may take some experimenting; the dome slope is not near that of the large.
    Going to smoke some Canadian back bacon this weekend (it's curing as I write this) as well as a brisket. Anything you'd like to see/hear about being tried on this thing?
    qfan

• The Virginian
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I'd like to get some data on temperature differentials at different points on the grate, and at different heights, to see what the temperature variance is across different parts of the cooking area (especially for indirect cooking). [p]I would also like to know how large a turkey will fit in that thang! [p]Brett

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I know that in Lynchburg we had up to 4 butts in there at once and the variance front to back settled between 7 and 10°F difference throughout the entire cook. That's pretty consistent in my book.
    I'll monitor it in a couple places when I do the brisket this weekend too.
    Qfan

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]I keep thinking it will have those variances too, but when I cook I just don't see them. I have twice now cooked three slabs of St. Louis ribs laying flat and they have cooked very evenly throughout. I don't have a bunch of polders polders so I can't give you a readout but the ribs were cooked evenly. I cooked seven chickens in Lynchburg and they were evenly cooked too. Now this is at around 250 dome temp. It might be different at higher temps.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RibsOnXL.jpg
    <p />I agree Ray.
    With that monster platesetter, and my makeshift grid raiser, I experienced some of the most evenly cooked ribs ever. Here is what the ribs at the Jack looked like after a few hours. I was suprised how even the temps were. [p]After Qfan is done playin around, I look forward to doin some more sperimentin next year!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Now that's an Egg.
    Ribs look great.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Set up looks like platesetter / bricks/ grill / ribs. Why did you raise the grid? Did the drip pan not fit? What is the grid probe for? Did it register quite a bit different then the dome?[p]Thanks,
    Doug