Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

J Appledog's Butterball Turkey Brine

Options
tn slagamater
tn slagamater Posts: 623
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone re-post the brine recipe that Julie had posted below ? It has been lost, disappeared in the server shuffle....Her post is still there but the message content is gone.I have a turkey on hold.... TIA

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    I don't know if Julie modifies it or not.[p]Brined Turkey a la John Ash[p]1 turkey, 12-16 pounds, rinsed thoroughly, giblets, tail, and
    neck removed
    2 Tablespoons olive oil or
    melted butter
    1 Tablespoon butter, plus extra to grease the casserole dish
    1/4 cup turkey or chicken stock[p]Brine:
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup maple syrup
    3/4 cup coarse salt
    3 whole heads garlic, cloves separated, but not peeled, and bruised
    6 large bay leaves
    1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons dried chile flakes
    1-1/2 cups soy sauce
    3 quarts water
    Handful of fresh thyme sprigs[p]Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel
    pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse
    the turkey well, and
    put it in a large enamel, stainless steel or food-grade plastic pot
    or bucket. Cover with the cold brine and add more water if the brine
    doesn't cover the
    turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the brine.
    Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day. (When you
    turn the turkey be sure to empty the brine out of the body cavity
    before you turn it or it splashes everywhere.)[p]To cook the turkey: Remove the bird from the brine and pat it dry.
    Lightly brush it with olive oil or butter and set aside. Adjust oven
    rack to the lowest
    position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a heavy-duty V-rack,
    adjusted to its widest setting, in the pan.[p][p][p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Painter,
    She made some other changes as well that she mentioned. Pimento leaves for bay leaves. Fresh ground chipotle instead of pepper flakes. Think there was some other new changes as well....one of which was using our Tsunami Spin in the cavity and on the outside. Hee![p]That is all I remember. That was a great post. I hope it gets retrieved!
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Actually, Nature Boy, I used whole (1/2) chipotles and added some Mrs. Dog's Jamaican Jerk Marinade. JCA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Dang....my farting brain left out the most important part![p]The Mrs. Dog's mustard I got from you at Eggtoberfest has nearly disappeared. Just give me a spoon and I'm good with that stuff.[p]Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    J Appledog, Oh, thanks ! Was there rosemary and something in the cavity ? The jamacian marinade was in the brine ?

• tn slagamater,
    Found the printout. Yes, looks like the jerk is in the brine.[p]Here is a summary.....
    Brined and then air dried overnight. "Seasoned cavity with lots of salt & rub (Tsunami Spin) that I used on the outside of the bird". Then stuffed a tangerine with holes poked w/toothpick, onion pieces & fresh sage, thyme and rosemary. Then she said "After trussing I brushed bird with melted butter/vegie oil mixed with some more of the rub.[p]Also mentioned a cranberry glaze at the end. Yowza.[p]I had some of julie's cooking at the eggtoberfest and it was heavenly.
    Beers
    Chris

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Natue Boy, That is it !! Thanks, now I am glad I loaded up on the Tsunami Spin at Eggtoberfest !