Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE temp question

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and have never had difficulties reaching high temps(>750*). I've been using my small for about 6 months and wanted to do a cleaning burn. I couldnt get the temp over 600* with the lid off and vents opened fully. I thought it might be the thermometer, but it calibrated fine using the boiling water method. I also removed the components and removed the excess ash and tried again with the same results. Any thoughts?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Yeah that's pretty much it unless you put in a full load of new lump. Only need 600 for a cleaning burn anyway. However if you put a small fan by the vent it will take off.
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Thats pretty much what I was thinking but it sure is nice hearing it from someone thats been there :laugh: Thanks
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    My small is sometimes a little slow coming up to temp but will easily top 700 if you let it go. I never mess with the daisy on the small only use the bottom vent for control.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You can drop more lump in through the chimney and get to 900+ if you want.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Mi mini and my medium are my rocket eggs. I believe that is because they have the draft doors of the large and the small. In the case of the small, I believe it just isn't a smaller version of the large, the geometry and draft are different. Some have no issues, and I am glad for that. I am not one of them. My small hits 700, but it takes effort. I have to make an aluminum rope to plug the void between the fire box and egg wall (thanks Grandpas Grub). I also need new lump, and a clean egg. I fashioned a new fire grate made out of expanded metal, and it breathes better. If these conditions aren't in place, my temp is sluggish. And that is ok 90% of the time, high temp cooks are not what I do most, and I just use one of my other eggs in this case. But the small is an absolute beast at getting to 500 quick and hanging there or below for my entire cook. I would say a lot of my cooking is at or below this temp, so I love it.