Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else had a gasket problem with the small egg? I got mine new 10-12 days ago, and after the first cook, the top gasket burned through, and had about 3 inches hanging off the egg (on both sides of where it burned through). The bottom gasket has an area about 4 inches long, where it isn't even connected to the egg. I'm going to contact the HQ to see if the gasket is under warranty or not. I suspect not, and it isn't a huge issue, I just feel it wasn't installed correctly. My first cook was 400 for burgers, and I did a spatchcock chicken last night at 350, so I haven't exactly overheated it.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Many are going to jump on here after me and tell you a gasket is not needed. I will leave that opinion up to you. Personally, I like the gasket, and I have them on all my eggs. I have switched to nomex gaskets (actually Aramid, generic Nomex) and really like them. My small lost its gasket quick, but since replacing it with nomex it has held up well to high heat cooks like pizza. Do a search on nomex, and you will get a ton of info. Good luck.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Mine too burned up shortly after getting the egg. I sent an email to the mothership and they sent me out a free nomex gasket. Customer service is great.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Thanks. I too am not sold on the necessity of the gasket. It probably does seal a little better, thereby saving your lump by putting out the fire quicker, but I like it mainly for not having the ceramic on ceramic sound or feel when closing the lid. If it were a year old, I probably wouldn't do anything about it, but since it was used once, I feel a little cheated. I'll reach out to the mothership, they'll probably take care of me.