Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paper Bag Pot Rost

Options
2»

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You won't be sorry.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Hoss, this works well with ham too. I have only done it with a Pork Butt.

How about posting what you do with the ham, I think there would be a lot of interest.

Be well, Kent
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Kent, that looks great. You are the pot roast king around here. That is still something I have not tried on the egg yet, I really need to get to it. I remember you talking about this paper bag method, it sounds really good. It would seem like the juices would just stay locked in and steam the meat. I like the idea. If I remember right, you even cooked this on the small? Was it suprised that you opened the dome and threw in some charcoal? I bet it was shocked.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Kent. The mowing is going well and I hope to add more customers as time goes by. I will try the pot roast in a bag cook soon. Tim
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Very interesting cook. Must of been fun opening up the package after 6 hours to see what happened to the chuck roast. Sure does look good.

I'm wondering if one layer of parchment paper would work as well, just thinking, for more smoke flavor? The jet netting is a great idea to hold it all together. :cheer:
    Enjoy the leftovers!
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Kent:

Great to see you pushing through this. Even if the fix and recovery is slow, we're all here for you.

So, Pot Roast King; did you pull at 200*...surely you didn't just time it.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    GG:

Very cool!

Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SoyersPaperBagCooking2.jpg

SoyersPaperBagCooking.jpg

Kent, here is the chart you asked about. One thing to remember.... you can always put your pot roast, pork loin, or whatever on the pit for an hour or two at a low temp to give it some smoke flavor. Then wrap in paper for the finish.

I've included the "Full Scan" link to this cookbook from Google Books. If you are not familiar with Google Books, they scan limited, partial or full scans of certain books. Maybe because of it's age (100 years old), this book qualifies for a full scan. It will take a few minutes to load, then you can just scroll through it. At the very beginning you will note some handwriting from a library, and also the name Julia Child. I've always thought it's possible the book came from her collection.....

Here is the complete cookbook
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont think you can cook spring chicken in 25 minutes :laugh: :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The Jet Netting is just easy. But butcher twine would work just as well.

I think 1 piece of parchment paper would be fine. After using the juices I sure wouldn't want to loose that wonderful flavor.

I am going to play with doing a whole chicken next and will use 1 piece of parchment.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Barry, thanks for your thoughts. Got to always move forward - sometimes fast and sometimes slow.

:( With my head hanging down in shame and my tail between my legs - yup, time only. 2 hrs/lb. The worst part is I didn't think to take a temperature reading until after a rest and opening the paper and half way through cutting & threading the roast.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Mike. It was a fun and very good tasting cook.

Kent
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Great looking cook Kent.
    Take care of yourself .We all are pulling for you.Good luck on the 8th!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Great looking cook Kent.
    Take care of yourself .We all are pulling for you.Good luck on the 8th!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you Wayne for the post. That page is fun to look at. I wasn't aware of google books but I will go pull the article.

It didn't even dawn on me to cook the cut for a time in order to get some smoke flavor. I will give it a try on the next pot roast cook.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Jon.

Kent