Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

so I made some wings

Options
LDD
LDD Posts: 1,225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A mix of a few different seasonings...
IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

They turned out really good, but not crispy. They were on for about 45 min @ 425.

A couple of nights later(it was eating me up that I didn't nail it), I cooked them at 400 for about 1:25 min. They came out crispier, but not quite where I wanted them.

My next attempt will be 300 for a couple of hours. Does that sound as though they will dry out? My thought is, if I cook them low and slow, it will render the fat and then crisp up? Maybe crank the heat towards the end?

Thoughts, opinions, tips?

Thanks
LDD
context is important :)

Comments

• PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    Options
    I haven't tried to do crispy wings, but I think I would try to do a hi temp cook ~450 for about 15-20 min, and then shut it down to 325-350 45 min or so to see if you get the desired results. It'll be interesting to see what others do.
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Options
    LDD wrote:
    My next attempt will be 300 for a couple of hours. Does that sound as though they will dry out? My thought is, if I cook them low and slow, it will render the fat and then crisp up? Maybe crank the heat towards the end?

Thoughts, opinions, tips?

Thanks
    LDD

I mix my seasonings with a couple TBS corn starch and then cook them raised direct at about 400 to 450. The corn starch really helps crisp them up.

UKMatt
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Look into buying or building some kind of a raised grid and cook direct.
    Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store makes a great one for the XL.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=300

Please use discount code "photoegg" for 25% off.
    Just joking...but it is quality stuff built by an XL user.

Puts your food higher in the dome and further from your lump.

Wings are one of our favs.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use direct at 400 high in the dome and they come out fine for me. Found cooking high and direct works. Use an adj rig but bricks would be fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    We do wings about every other week. I make them two different ways:

400, indirect for an hour...30 mins then flip, another 20 mins, then sauce, then 10 more mins.

400, raised direct for about a half hour, flipping and moving the wings around on the grid, to help them cook evenly.

Sometimes, I'll put some corn starch in a fine-mesh-strainer, and tap the edge of it with a spoon, to get a really light coating of cornstarch on the wings, to help crisp them up.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    You know Darian, some people, but not me, :whistle:
    might say you are 25% off on a good day! :lol: :silly: :ermm:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Interesting Ben. Why the different methods? It would seem that you'd settle on a favorite and stick with it. Me? Heck, I can't get it straight: I cook my wings direct and my spatchcock indirect.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    those look great. i like mine with a crispy skin as well. these are some i cooked this weekend at 300 direct on a raised grid for two and a half hours...

f8e9777d.jpg

10d13ed3.jpg
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I do my wings raised in-direct at 375 for 30min per side then I finish them direct for 10 minutes a side and they come out perfect.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • LDD
    Options
    thanks for all the tips...

I'll try the different methods...

btw.. jason those wings look top shelf.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    25% is being nice, even on a good day I'm in the 35-40% off range.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Only because sometime I don't have an hour. We really love wings, and have them more often than I normally have a full hour to work with. I prefer indirect, and use it when I'm cooking for a crowd, since I can cook on two levels. But the 30-minute direct cook is convenient for a weeknight, "gee what should we have for dinner" meal.

I cook my spatchcock direct, and my wings indirect (when I've got time).
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    LDD wrote:
    thanks for all the tips...

I'll try the different methods...

btw.. jason those wings look top shelf.

thanks!

both my wife and i love our wings with the skin crispy otherwise we pull the skin off... i've used this method since i got my adjustable rig and it's been working out great.

i don't know if this is considered low and slow since it's 300 degrees, but in the course of the two and a half hours, the fat does indeed render and the meat is tender, but still very juicy. i've actually had hot liquid shoot out of one when i punctured it before, so they may look a dry, but are actually quite moist.

cheers!
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    wings_012610P1010418.JPG

I've tried them lots of ways, but I get the crispiest results I've gotten were from 400°F indirect - inverted plate setter + drip pan + grate + grate extender (the BGE one). The further you can get the wings up in the dome the hotter it is.

I've also found that hitting the wings with a rub (I like John Henry's Mojave Garlic or Texas Chicken Tickler) and letting the wings dry out in the fridge for an hour or so on a rack set over a jellyroll pan really helps to keep 'em crispy.

Football Food – Chili & Wings, January 27th, 2010
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If you're going to make some wings... make some wings!

wings1.jpg

wings2.jpg
  • Denbbq
    Denbbq Posts: 84
    Options
    Letting the wings sit uncovered in the frig overnight will help a lot with what ever set up you use
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    Get one of these racks. Got mine from ACE. Cook direct and wings get crispy. No need to pop lid to flip wings, the cause of most flare ups.
    wingcook003.jpg

finished wings
    wingcook007.jpg
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    Like some others have said, cook on a raised grid, direct, at 400 degrees. That should help crisp them up. I havent tried the corn starch...but I will next time :woohoo:
  • LDD
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions..

I've been adding a bit of corn starch to the seasoning mix and that seems to crisps them up nice.

indirect @400-425 for about 1 hour and they've been turning out crispy