Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

outdoor kitchen design with egg

Options
pearlbluevtx
pearlbluevtx Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi-

I'm in the process of designing an outdoor kitchen layout and I have an approximately 11' wide counter space in which I plan to put my Large EGG as well as a 32" to 42" gas grill ...

There will be an 8'-9' bar sitting in front of the 'back-bar grill area'

Does anyone have any opinions on this design?

I was thinking of centering the two units, giving a 10" to 20" spacing between the two and then installing a vent-a-hood above that area to help manage the smoke.

anyone have any thoughts, advice, experience with any outdoor setups?

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Designing is a lot of fun and it'll make cooking really wonderful, while you kick back and enjoy your extra space. Several folks on the forum have some great layouts and ideas. Instead of sinking my eggs into the countertop, I looked at Jay & Kathy's(SSN686 & Madhatter) beatiful ODK and decided to build a platform for my eggs too. I'm very happy with the set up.

Jay & Kathy's
    http://mysite.verizon.net/jct1013/id3.html

Also, the Naked Whiz's site has a several set up's to look at, some kitchens and some Egg table's.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com

This my ODK, still during construction. Not a great pic though, my son took it during sunset. It should give you an idea about using the platform method. What I like best about this set-up is that I can work on the eggs if needed and interchange them with my additional eggs. Definitely make sure you have a power recepticle nearby, for lights, firestarters or in my case, using the stoker. Hope this helps. BTW, I travel to OKC alot, I hope you send me some contact info offline so we can meet when I get out there.
    DSCI0014-5.jpg
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Here's our ODK design. The external dimensions of our L are 10'x 10' with a little extra for the table at the end. Bar height on one side, counter height on the other.

I'd recommend at least two feet between your egg and grill. Imagine you're going to hear that you should just put a second egg in.

Egg8.jpg

Egg7.jpg
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    IMGP0546.jpg

IMGP0548.jpg[ol][img size=150][/img]
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The Naked Whiz....Table gallery.Lots of options. ;)
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    tnels you read my mind and great kitchen!

I have not been egging as long as some other folks on here but I can safely say that I used to use my Weber Q220 a lot...now I use my egg 8 times as much as I ever used my old gasser AND I have not used it in well over a year. I started it up in spring just to make sure she worked and clean some gunk off the grate, thinking I would use it this summer. Nope. Just the Large and the Small going at a nice clip.
  • pearlbluevtx
    Options
    GREAT PICS and thanks for the ideas guys. The 2 FEET and just installing another EGG ... yeah, I know I was even thinking about that too. But, I think having a grill option *might* be wise for other members of the family!!

Will check out NakedWhiz too...

Di - yours is close to what I was thinking but I had planned 10-20" between the two units.

EXCELLENT INFO!! THANKS
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Good luck with the build. I thought about it daily for the last three years and finally pulled the trigger. You'll love it.
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    Here are a couple of old pics of mine.

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01409.jpg
  • pearlbluevtx
    Options
    @ AlwaysGolf - your use of the wood beams exposed etc is exactly what my design is ... great example of what I'm trying to get too. thanks for sharing.