Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate to start a fight but....

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are a house divided

My traveling companion prefers chili without beans

I never met a bean I didn't like

Chili with beans, chopped onions, grated cheese, and crumpled up saltines

Nothing to get divorced over and I know my place - chili no beans at our house B)

What's your preference?

Did you really think I would start some BS?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    With! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    beans!! gotta have the beans :P
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    For just eatin chilli.More beans the better.The ONLY thing beanless chilli is good for is chilli dogs or chilli burgers!!! ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    no beans and chunks of sirloin along with the ground meats
  • pitrpan
    pitrpan Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't have beans in my chili..
    Or cheese, for that matter.
  • Hoss
    Options
    And a littlte 'Loney on the side!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    frank, this is gonna be like the corn eating thread i started at the beginning of the summer, LOL. ...

great thing about beans and chili, you can add them at the very end, you don't really have cook them in the chili as they really don't add any flavor to the chili itself, so just have a nice hot pot of red beans beans sitting there on the table along side the bowl of onions and bowl of cheese, and that way, people can add exactly what they want to to the chili. ..

me, i like mine cincinnati style. ..."chili mac" chili served over spaghetti, with beans, and cheese. ... skip the onions. .. .

lets see where this one goes tonight :-)
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I like them either way......however, I prefer my chili "with" beans. I know those whimpy Texans wouldn't dare put beans in their chili, but, to hell with them! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Can't we all just get along? :laugh:

But for the record....with with with
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Having now spent nearly 25 years in Texas...I know the folly of even mentioning Chili...(with beans) inside the state line!!

I've seen Guys get hurt around here...for as much!! :woohoo:

Me...I love chili,(either way)!! But I crave it "with"!!

P10100292-1.jpg

If you don't mind though, I think I'll wait a few months before I make any...lmao!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Austin Egger
    Options
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Gotta have beans in my chili. :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I was in the Army and Navy and learned to 'eat'm and like'm' no matter what was in the chili.

Then I found out that my Sweetie makes good chili (found the recipe on the Forum) and it's so good I really don't know or care if it has beans in it or not.

But I don't care for cheese in it at all.

Spring "Not Chili Weather Here Right Now" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I like 'em both, but I understand the purist/bean-o-phobics, too.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    beans!! it's my favorite part.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Does that include the cinnamon, Max?
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Oh, Frank! Now you've done it :laugh: Seriously, CASI rules ..Chili Appreciation Society International state "no fillers" allowed. Beans are considered a filler. Chili teams compete for points to go to Terlingua for the World Championship Chili cookoff. This is like the Jack Daniels BBQ event, perhaps bigger. We take this VERY SERIOUSLY in Texas. If you're not cooking in a comp., by all means enjoy your beans.

100_0431.jpg
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Coming from the Oklahoma beans were always in chili but they were few and always took a backseat to the meat. Since I have been in Georgia and a regular at the Chili cookoff at Stone Mountain beans are more abundant than meat in a lot of Chili's down here. Which I always thought was a little strange. I would say that I prefer beans but not very many.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I heard yours called several things...but I don;t recall "Chili" bein' one of them...lmao!!!

;)
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Before I read the rest of the thread, Beans,Beans and more Beans. Has to be Red Kidney Beans for me and I prefer using the S&W canned ones, 50% less salt.

I often just open a can, heat, put in a bowl, some tabasco sauce, extra sharp cheddar cheese and eat using a saltine cracker, unsalted tops. Sometimes shredded red cabbage on top. Had that last night. :laugh:

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    beans best in red beans and rice, pork and beans, refried or black with mexican and green beans but not in chili......lol.....t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Chili without beans :ohmy: :ohmy: Wouldn't fly in my house :woohoo: Plus the aftermath of the beans makes the kids chuckle :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Frank,

Chili gotta have beans! Sour cream on top too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    oh yeah, i do like both regular texas style chilis and cincinatti sweet chilis too. . .but its definitely an aquired taste. ... i've been there and eaten skyline chili and star (i forget the full name of the chain) chili. ...very fine grind, sweet with the cinammon. ..always served 'mac' style over spaghetti. ..there's a damn chili parlor on every corner.. . .crazy. .. .

we have a really good chili parlor chain here in DC area called 'hard times' chili. ..they make both a classic 'texas' beer grind chilli that is really good and a cincinnati chili that is also very good. . .and you can get either one with or without beans.. . .good stuff!
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Bordello,
    I was the same way about kidney beans once upon a time. The next time you cook it just buy you some canned pintos and rinse them off in a colander before adding to the chili. I like them better than kidney beans.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Ditto on the sour cream. Throw a couple jalapenos on top for me too :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rolling Egg,

Believe me,with my chili the jalapenos cool it down. I like your thinking though ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Max, I'm rather diplomatic, I like both!

My favorite is Chili Verde (I know, I know....the tomatoes shouldn't be there. Those Texans are dogmatic!):
    IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

Stop by Dayton and I'll treat you to Cincinnati Chili anytime.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Chili was born from the chuck wagons on the old Chisolm and Loving-Goodnight cattle trails. The drovers wouldn't dare kill a bovine for supper, so chili was made mostly with beans. If there was any meat at all, it was probably rabbit, armadillo, or deer.

So, the Texans that say "if you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili" are a bunch of know nothings.

I put pintos in my chili, and I'm a 6th generation Texan. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hoss
    Options
    DAYUM DAT looks YUMMEE! Would you share your recipe??? :huh: