Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs...accidently perfect.

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was hungry for beef ribs so I picked up two 3 lb slabs marked "beef spare ribs" Decided to cook one at a time since I'd never tried them on the egg. Marinated overnight in Lowry's chipotle marinade and shook a liberal dusting of Emeril's Asian essence. Had planned to do them raised direct but the marinade clung so thickly that I was afraid I'd char them if the temp wasn't perfect. Set up the platesetter. Cut the ribs apart and spaced them on the grid. 250 for two hours. Sprayed with olive oil a couple of times. Mopped them with Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce and put them in a small baking pan meat side down and added one can of chicken broth (didn't have any beef broth), covered with foil and checked after one hour. Turned them meat side up, more Tennessee Red and re-foiled. Took a long phone call and, despite my new ET-73, temp went to 350 suddenly and came down very slowly over the next hour.
Ribs were beautiful. Moist, brown with a hint of char on the edges. Final mop with regular Blues Hog (thicker and bit less spicy). Best I ever ate. Wife said same. Also said they were better than the pork spare ribs we'd had at Oklahoma Joes... Woah!
Guess the accidental temp spike did same thing that finishing direct might have done. Another slab waiting to be egged.