Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small "Starter" Butt

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a little Baby Butt, just four pounds, to cut my teet on. Was going to set up grill for indirect at about 250, get meat up to 190 before taking off, then wrap in foil, put a towel over, stick in a cooler for about an hour at least before eating. How long should I expect a butt of this size to take? And what are some other good tips to know, anything from at all, when preparing? Thanks, guys, you all are the best!!

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I did three that size recently. They took a little over eight hours.

Here was the post.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=949164&catid=1
  • Cowtown Dawg
    Options
    I'm a relative newbie (only had my large since January) but your plan sounds just right. I have read that most folks tend to pull the butts at 195-200 as opposed to 190 though. At four pounds you might plan for an 8 hour cook. The two butts I've cooked, both about 8 pounds took around 16 to 17 hours and were pulled at 200. Good luck! (Apparently you can't really mess up a butt.)
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I think the rule of thumb is 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound. Coat it well with rub if you like lots of bark. I usually trim off some of the excess fat but leave some on and cook it fat side down. Butts are very forgiving so have fun!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know why so many people think they have to wrap and do the cooler thing. If you want to hold temp for 3-4 hours, by all means, do that. Works great. But if you pull it at 195° and it's time to eat, just let it rest for 15-30 minutes, pull and enjoy. The only reason you would want to shove it in a cooler is if it's ready before you are.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut